Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,518   Online: 881

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I am not blaming anything on projection printing, I am just warning the guy, dust on the film pre-epxosure can be a *very* problematic thing if you want to wet print. If you scan, it's easily correctable.
    Ok, I see the point you were trying to make. But dust on the film during exposure is an issue with EVERY sheet film size not just 4x5. Spotting prints is a learned art.

Personally I think the concept of scanning film is absurd. Are there no good digital cameras on the market? The only logical reason to use film is to make a print on photographic paper. I guess some people don't like the look of photographic paper and to each his own. I know the glowing image on an iPhoney is more appealing to my youngest child.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 12-20-2012 at 07:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I think one of the worst parts about these forums is that people assume I am doing it all wrong and they are all right. What people don't realize is that I have spent not hours but full days researching this issue and have taken extraordinary measures to control dust, including using individual anti-static bags for each holder. In fact, I am willing to bet that I do a lot more than most to control dust.
    I can tell by the quality of the images you've posted that you take this seriously. I've no doubt that you've gone to extraordinary measures, too. I think you may be on to something with the dry air where you live. Is there any way you can control the relative humidity in your darkroom/ loading room? Have you considered a humidifier, maybe letting it run for a while before loading/unloading/printing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Ok, I see the point you were trying to make. But dust on the film during exposure is an issue with EVERY sheet film size not just 4x5. Spotting prints is a learned art.
    Don't worry IC, you are still on my go to list...:-)

Actually, it has really not been a problem with any other format. Example, I just souped two rolls of 120 shot in my 6x12 back using the 4x5 today, perfect, no dust. And yes, spotting is a part of printing, but it is the black spots left on the paper by the clear holes on the neg that are a pain, you either have to spot the neg or bleach the print.

Sometimes I just want to go back to MF where I know for a fact I can produce. But I am going to stick it out..it's been a horribly dry year. I load my film in the bathroom after a run the hot shower for a few, it's humid-ish....

Shooter
    35mm
    U could just buy a graflarger back and a copystand and use camera as your enlarger.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the OP is asking what enlargers are suited to 4x5...

Omega D2 or D5 are relatively common and cheap. As has already been mentioned, the Beseler 45M (in all the various flavors) is also common and cheap. There are others too...these. Are just the two types I'm familiar with.

I have an Omega D2 in storage that doesn't get used much...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin