Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,386   Online: 707

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Gowlandflex repair, preferably in Nor Cal?

The top ground glass broke on my Big-Ass Twin Lens, and I'm having a beast of a time finding a fixer for it. DIY is a bit daunting, so I wonder if there are any Gowlandflex users out there who've found either repairfolk or camera schematics. Peter Gowland and his wife Alice have both passed on, tho' the Web site is still up. The phone numbers on it are invalid, and I've sent two emails with no reply. (They'd had a hired technician a few years ago.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gflex.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow, do you have any example images this beast has made?!

Good luck in finding a repairman. Although, the DIY repair can't be too bad
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would try Photography on Bald Mountain ( http://www.baldmtn.com/ ). I haven't used them in many years, but was impressed when I did. They are in Davenport, CA (between Carmel and San Francisco).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Honestly this is a very easy repair. It would just take some time to source a proper ground glass.

I can fix it for you or help you DIY. I might even have a suitable piece of ground glass...

Otherwise, I would suggest one of the following:

??? (sorry, I forget the name of the) camera repair place in Oakland near 14th and Broadway. They've been there forever and do pretty decent work.
    Keeble and Suchat in Palo Alto. They have a repair counter upstairs with the darkroom stuff. I think they send most of the work out though.
    There used to be a guy on Villa street near Castro in Mountain view - but, last I heard, he retired.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wow, thanks for all the quick responses.

What's hanging me up is that, for the life o' me, I can't remember how the GG goes in. I did indeed do a partial disassemble, but I thought maybe I'd have to recalibrate the dual focus after repairing. I'll post a pic of the top assembly soon, and hopefully someone can talk me through how to measure. There are a couple of sources I've found via *bay who could cut the glass, not too expensive.

Brad, I'll look up the Oakland repair place you mentioned & see if they can help. Thanks for offering yourself, but since I don't have a car, it'd be hard to make it out to Gold Country. Then again, if you find yourself in SF, shoot me a message.

As for posting pics, I've just gotten back to using APUG, but will flesh out my profile soon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNoNotSteve View Post
    Brad, I'll look up the Oakland repair place you mentioned & see if they can help. Thanks for offering yourself, but since I don't have a car, it'd be hard to make it out to Gold Country. Then again, if you find yourself in SF, shoot me a message.
    I should have mentioned...I work in Pleasanton and sometimes make trips into the City but, unfortunately, I do not get into the city nearly as much as I'd like.

The guy in Oakland is a good bet...speak slowly, English is not his first language.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK, with Brad's encouragement, I've delved more deeply & I may be able to do this. Looks like all I have to do is detach the spring that hooks up to the little pulley. Still not sure if GG lays atop the moving framing bit (i.e. with cross-shaped cutout), or if it's set within it. See attached pix.
    Last edited by Stevo; 01-06-2013 at 07:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

PIx of camera

Pix:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GF_inside.jpg   GF_top.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe that the GG lays way on top between the two top strips of aluminum. That squarish plate of aluminum with the cutout cross shape is the parallax thingy...it moves with focus - right?

The focus screen is going to be rectangular and fit across the whole opening. the top of the glass is flush with those outer aluminum rails...no?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here's the latest: I determined that the GG is set within the aluminum parallax frame (it's about 5" x 4.75") You have to epoxy one edge of the GG --on the pulley mechanism side-- to the frame, while the other side just rides on its rail. You have to be careful because the aluminum deforms easily. I used Devcon highest-strength epoxy and let it set overnight.

Unfortunately, when I field tested the camera, the taking and focusing lenses didn't jibe. Arrrgh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin