Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,689   Online: 722

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel like that if I have lacking in any area of technique in terms of getting a technically perfect image, then I have more things that are out of my control than I am comfortable with.

For example, out of all my LF lenses, only one needs to be seriously corrected for focus shift when using IR film, my Schneider 350mm F/11. I had to go through about $40 worth of film in a roll film back before I knew where that correction was, an unwelcome "leave it to chance" kind of thing.

Once I am 100% on my technical ability, then all the things that I love that are not in my control have a chance to play a much greater role in making an extraordinary image happen versus just a technically perfect one.

That's pretty much how I roll...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    Thats interesting....I always thought LF was much more expensive in terms of cost per image, etc. Also aren't enlargers that can handle LF expensive or are enlargers not even used?
    Yes, of course large format is much more expensive than roll film per frame but, that is ignoring the fact that we tend to expose far fewer frames of LF. That high per frame cost along with the effort involved in setting up the camera make you think about what you're doing and there fore, you use far less film (and get a higher ratio of "keepers"). So, the total photographic expense over a year is lower with LF than it is with roll film...becasue there is less waste.

Enlargers are almost free these days...it's mostly just a matter of finding one that hasn't been beat to hell, parted out of junked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Yes, of course large format is much more expensive than roll film per frame but, that is ignoring the fact that we tend to expose far fewer frames of LF. That high per frame cost along with the effort involved in setting up the camera make you think about what you're doing and there fore, you use far less film (and get a higher ratio of "keepers"). So, the total photographic expense over a year is lower with LF than it is with roll film...becasue there is less waste.

Enlargers are almost free these days...it's mostly just a matter of finding one that hasn't been beat to hell, parted out of junked.
    Easy there with that "We" stuff...;-)

I actually shoot up to 6-8 sheets on a key shot in order to "Dust Bracket" versus at most three frames of 120 on the same shot. Reason bieng is that I practice all the best methods of dust control that you could possibly find using a google search in a week and still have issues with dust on the film during the exposure, so LF has turned out to be *very* expensive for me at least in real world use.

And yes, you can find decent 4x5 enlargers for a song or even ones with a cold light head and a few lenses for $200-$300. Then you are good to go with a $100 Rodagon 150mm 5.6 for most print sizes. Add a clean Negaflat carrier and you might not need to spend $150-$200 on a glass carrier with anti newton glass....but then again, you just might.

As far as souping the film goes, there are a few ways to skin that cat, but they can have issues with consistency, needing full darkness, messy trays, sheets popping out of a Mod-54, getting raked over the coals for one of those Nikor tanks....or you are like me and value your time and pony up for a Jobo Expert Drum and roll it on a motor base or a full blown Jobo and just cut out the BS....

So yeah, in theory it can be cheap, maybe a grand for a Crown Graphic, dusty D2 or 45M and some taco sessions with your favorite developing tank if you are just a hobby dabbler....but I am very serious about it and between the camera, 7 lenses, 30 film holders, two 6x12 roll film backs, a mint Rodagon 150mm F/4 Apo-N, about 3,000 sheets of 4x5 film and a few other goodies, I am at over $16K for LF in tax year 2012...:-O

On the other hand I did make a slick magnetic 20x24 easel for $50 and a jumbo rotary drum for 30x40 for about the same...

So I guess it can be cheap but as in most cases, you tend to get what you pay for....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 01-07-2013 at 03:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    It was important to me to know the rules. I have to know what the rules are to be able to break them. What is it? Chance favors the prepared mind? Something like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    It was important to me to know the rules. I have to know what the rules are to be able to break them. What is it? Chance favors the prepared mind? Something like that.
    This, yes...

I had used that quote a few pages back, I use it along with I can not make photos while on the Internet to get my ass out the door...;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    No, I think it's, "Faint of heart never won fair lady". Ya' gotta love Shakespeare. He had it pegged no matter how he worded it and that was a gazillion different ways.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What David said gave me an inspiration. A live elephant might make a pretty good option to a drum
    processor. Got an onboard siphon for sucking up the chemicals, at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm getting into LF now to expand the tools available to me. Very big prints and very small prints sell well for me. With 4x5 I can make contact prints and very large enlargements (larger than I would want to go with my medium format TLR). Then of course any dust that sneaks in will be proportionately much smaller on the final enlargement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    I'm getting into LF now to expand the tools available to me. Very big prints and very small prints sell well for me. With 4x5 I can make contact prints and very large enlargements (larger than I would want to go with my medium format TLR). Then of course any dust that sneaks in will be proportionately much smaller on the final enlargement.
    Depends on where the dust is.

If you take one look at a contact print made from an 8x10 negative properly exposed and developed in a pyro staining developer... you will be hooked. There are levels of detail and gradients of tone you would not believe possible on a sheet of film.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post

*L* Interesting comment coming from you. I am not sure whether that Omega was beat to hell or what. I am much more pleased with my Besseler MX45. I do hope you got some good use out of it.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin