Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,181   Online: 689

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    If you take one look at a contact print made from an 8x10 negative properly exposed and developed in a pyro staining developer... you will be hooked. There are levels of detail and gradients of tone you would not believe possible on a sheet of film.
    I'm still getting caught up on the extra expense of dealing with 4x5 (and have yet to produce my first successful negatives, let alone a print... grrr). I'm betting you're probably right, and as such I should probably limit my chance of exposure to such temptation until my checkbook is ready for the expense of jumping to yet another format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    I'm still getting caught up on the extra expense of dealing with 4x5 (and have yet to produce my first successful negatives, let alone a print... grrr). I'm betting you're probably right, and as such I should probably limit my chance of exposure to such temptation until my checkbook is ready for the expense of jumping to yet another format.
    Makes me wish I lived in N.C. I would have you up and running in about a day. It's all about controlling process. Understanding handling film, metering, development, printing. 4x5 is no more expensive than 135. You shoot less, you get more. You stop being a picture taker and you become a PHOTOGRAPHER.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After I got done looking at all of the extra stuff I'd have to buy to treat sheet film the way I've always treated roll film, I let it go and went to using trays last night. The first four shots I took with my Graflex Crown Graphic were lovingly bathed by hand in trays in my bathtub while I sat on the floor. I used the DigitalTruth Massive Dev Chart app on my iPhone as a timer (just need to find a better way to contain the ambient light from the screen while still seeing the timer).

I need to refine the process a little bit but the negatives look good.

Next up? Finding a portable enlarger & learning to print!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin