Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,846   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It IS serious fun. Perspective and focus zone control are very useful. They print beautifully (breathtakingly, if all goes right.) I have been away from LF for some time but I also know that its only a matter of time before I go back. I will be torn between 4x5 and 8x10 at that time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use it strictly to obtain larger print sizes and I find that thus far, it has been a lot more expensive an undertaking than even medium format when it comes to producing top notch negatives and prints with consistency. In terms of prints, I feel like a good 6x6 or 6x7 neg looks pretty much flawless up to 20x24. But a good fine grained 4x5 neg does not really start to open up in terms of enlargement potential until 20x24 so I look forward to doing prints as large as 40x50 from 4x5.

It's a fun format for sure, but it is not as simple as many on here make it sound, at least for me anyway:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/1...some-help.html

Anyway, I used it today for about two hours on my ski area commission, here it is setup in -10F temps...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mainly for its eccentricity.

Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to do.

Actually, I started into LF because MF was too limiting. I had problems with depth of field and perspective, and I wanted to solve that. The price of a shift-tilt lens was the same as for a LF camera. So I decided that the wisest thing to do was go with a LF camera. I bought a Graflex Super Graphic, and I used that basic system without expanding it for years.

If you want to get into LF cheaply, you can do it. But be warned, it's something that you have to work at to get good results. And that will take time and effort. So what do you do? DO IT NOW! DON'T DELAY! Time is not limited, but your life is limited. Go for it, and dive in! If you enjoy film, you will enjoy LF. Ask for someone to send you what they think is a scrap negative. Look at it under a loupe. See all the detail! It was some kind of special when I realized that my 135mm Optar lens showed bicycle spokes two blocks away. I can live with results like that, no problem.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I prefer sheet film so I can have absolute control over each frame when developing, and all the other reasons except slowing down..I'm fast when I get the camera out and have already made all my decisions with a Technika viewfinder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do it because I really enjoy the process. It is great to be able to shoot one or two frames and process them. The big negatives (4x5) are beautiful! Also I just enjoy learning and this is another thing to learn and TRY to become good at...
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the ease of use when shooting paper negatives and I like the way the camera makes me think. Also I like contact printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Because composing on the expansive ground glass of my Wehman 8x10 beats squinting through the tiny viewfinder of my Nikon D300 any day!

I shoot large format for most of the reasons here. You should take LJH up on his generous offer and find out for yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like having lots of ways to screw up.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not shoot large format if I could get large format image quality from small format cameras.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin