Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,801   Online: 841

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fastw View Post
    So, why do you shoot LF? Is it just the neg size or is it the DOF? Is it the slowness of the process even when compared to manual MF. If it's the big size, how big do you print? I'm really tempted to try it, but not really sure why.

Cheers, Wojtek.
    DOF? What DOF? A 300mm to 360mm lens is standard for 8x10, even at f:22 there is little DOF. What you do have with a view camera is control over where you place the plane of focus.

I use LF for the tonality, detail, the contemplative way of working, the control, the large groundglass "viewfinder", the versatility, the ability to make decent size grainless prints with smooth tonality and extreme detail, and the possibility of using vastly different lens types each of which have their own character. I also enjoy the equipment - the wood cameras and so on.

Edit - I like challenges. I like knowing that it's up to me to use the equipment to (or near) it's potential.
    Using LF has also made me a much better photographer, regardless of the format I'm using. One of the first things I learned from LF was pre-visualisation, that is knowing what the print will look like before I expose the negative. This is a valuable skill with any size camera.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 01-04-2013 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of the above plus sometimes I only need one negative and I want it to be really good negative. 4x5 is what I shoot.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Size matters. Godzilla stomps Bambi every time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that's the film my camera takes.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Size matters. Godzilla stomps Bambi every time.
    I'm not so sure.
    The last time I tried existing light photos in a barroom with my Deardorff V8 it was a dismal failure...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    1-Detail
    2-Movements
    3-Ability to shoot 1 frame and go directly to development, no waiting to finish a roll.
    4-Ability to adjust development without cutting undeveloped rolls; shoot 2, develop #1, make a print, make a decision, then develop #2.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LF photography distills shooting down to it's bare essence. No fancy digital displays on the ground glass. The image is in my face upside down and actual size. I tend to shoot less film and make the shots count. Sometimes shooting LF is quite meditative and most of the time, I'm struggling with an unforgiving beast. Always, I have to be mindful when I shoot with it. I think all photo students should struggle with LF. It makes them better photographers.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    anybody says they can predict the future is LYING.

PERIOD.
    Aren't you predicting the future when you say this, making you a self-confessed liar, and therefore making this claim wrong?

PERIOD.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I dunno about that barroom comment. Seem like a big Dorf and maple tripod would be a lot more
    useful in a brawl than bonking heads with a little Nikon ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fun
    Interesting
    More degrees of freedom
    Negative size
    Greater selection of lenses
    Because I can
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin