Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,609   Online: 830

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The funny thing is that pre-visualisation (or with a z if you must) is usually attributed to Ansel Adams. However, if you look at his three books, The Print, The Negative and The Camera, the first chapter of each uses the word Visualization.

e.g Chapter One of The Negative is titled Visualization and Image Values.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The funny thing is that pre-visualisation (or with a z if you must) is usually attributed to Ansel Adams. However, if you look at his three books, The Print, The Negative and The Camera, the first chapter of each uses the word Visualization.

e.g Chapter One of The Negative is titled Visualization and Image Values.

Steve.
    I know. I don't know where the "pre" got added. Another is "proactive" - I think they mean "preventive" but I'm not sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think Edward Weston and Minor White used it but I'm not sure who was first or who added the pre-.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot 8x10 because I find well executed large format contact prints to be the pinnacle of photographic excellence. It is the method used by just about every photographer who's work I personally admire. That is, of course, just my opinion.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I shoot LF because it is the perfect creative process for me, even if a 30min exposure feels like I´m rushing things at times..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Minor White defined "Previsualization" in Zone System Manual, How to Previsualize Your Pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I think Edward Weston and Minor White used it but I'm not sure who was first or who added the pre-.
    I can't resist questions of detail, so I checked with Google Books. The earliest usage wrt photography that I could find was in 1947, in Morgan & Lester, _Graphic Graflex Photography_. The second one is in a 1951 article in _American Photography_ about Minor White, where White is quoted using and explaining the term.

It actually kind of makes sense to me; it's a shorthand for "pre-exposure visualization", which you gotta admit is a bit of a mouthful.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Ever seen a large or ultra-large format contact print?

Not a slightly wavy one made under a sheet of glass held down by gravity. But one clamped down by 2,000+ pounds of air pressure in a vacuum contact printing easel?

You would know...

Ken
    But is it art or just photographic technical perfection?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    It actually kind of makes sense to me; it's a shorthand for "pre-exposure visualization", which you gotta admit is a bit of a mouthful.
    Well, in its long form, pre-exposure visualization makes perfect sense. Pre-visualisation does not as it implies something you do before visualisation. That something is actually visualisation so the pre is redundant. In your version the visualisation is pre-exposure - which is exactly correct.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But is it art or just photographic technical perfection?
    Yes (or no).

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ntenny and Steve Smith already clarified, it is pre-exposure visualization...

The Minor White definition: "...this survey of possibilities and choice is done on location, in front of the subject, before the exposure is made. Previsualization as such survey and decision is called is to be done before the exposure is made." "...The term stands for a developed ability to look at a scene and at the same time hold in one's eye the image of the print which is still to be made."

There's talk of pre- and post-visualizing, visualizing from the print back to the original, vision communicated clockwise and counterclockwise and sometimes both directions at the same time. How this sometimes reaches an almost Zen-like state, etc.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin