Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,773   Online: 931

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I do it because it is fun and interesting....and the big negatives are easier to print....and believe it or not, it is cheaper than shooting small format.
    Thats interesting....I always thought LF was much more expensive in terms of cost per image, etc. Also aren't enlargers that can handle LF expensive or are enlargers not even used?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    Thats interesting....I always thought LF was much more expensive in terms of cost per image, etc. Also aren't enlargers that can handle LF expensive or are enlargers not even used?
    Used 4 x 5 enlargers tend to be quite inexpensive, because they are large and heavy and because there aren't as many people using them commercially as there used to be.

I bought mine (an Omega D6 with a good set of carriers and lenses, an Ilford Multigrade light source, a condensor light source and a bunch of other goodies) off of Craigslist for a very reasonable cost. I know others who have essentially been given one free.

A new one is, however, very expensive.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think the pursuit of technical excellence can be a mark of an artist... it serves the pursuit of a look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    I found an old Elwood 5x7 that needed some work for $100ish as I remember. Probably have $200 in it total. It is almost a piece of art itself. Gets the job done, I'm sure a more modern one would be easier to use but I'm in no rush to upgrade.

If you are up to a road trip freebies pop up now and again, on the large format forum or here. A WTB ad would probably drag one out reasonable.

There are some on EBay right now that are reasonably priced too.

Of course with 8x10 and larger cameras contact prints become a real option, a light bulb hanging on a wire in a closet becomes a practical darkroom setup.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now I have one request: can you Guys post some of your work, especially something you think you couldn't have shot with Medium Format. Please.
    Cheers, Wojtek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30056819@N00/4152134119

The plane of focus has been swung around on this one so that it isolates the main subject, Per Volquartz. The plane of focus actually gets the Chauncey in the far back too.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about any photograph made where the plane of focus is not parallel with the film plane?
    (Ahh... I see Mark beat me to it.)

How about any first-generation contact print larger than medium format?

How about any practical photograph made with an antique brass lens from the 1800s?

How about any photograph where the camera is not level, but all verticals in the picture are truly vertical. (And you didn't have to spend a gazillion dollars on a specialty PC lens?)

Like this one, where the camera was actually pointing slightly upward, yet there is no vertical convergence.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 01-06-2013 at 03:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Playing my own devil's advocate...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fastw View Post
    Now I have one request: can you Guys post some of your work, especially something you think you couldn't have shot with Medium Format. Please.
    Cheers, Wojtek
    A typical technophile shot (of questionable artistic merit) using movements:

See the focal plane (quite shallow!) follows the front plane of the car due to use of lots of front swing.

Strictly speaking you could achieve that with a medium-format view camera (GX680, flexbody, etc) but those are either so large or expensive as to be (IMHO) fairly pointless; you might as well just get a 4x5.

Other common things to do are plane of focus follows the ground (more stuff in focus without losing sharpness to diffraction) and parallel sides while placing the focus through carefully selected points.
    Last edited by polyglot; 01-06-2013 at 05:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cheers, Wojtek

hi fastw

http://www.apug.org/forums/members/j...ve-images.html
    all shot with paper negatives between 4x5" and 11x14"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cheers, Wojtek
    In this one, the camera was pointed up at about a 30 degree angle, both the lens plane and the film plane are rotated to the verticle position. There are no structural verticals in this photo, but if there were, they would not show any convergence.

I think Mark's picture is a real good example of how the plane of focus can be placed just about anywhere the photographer wants it, relative to the camera's position---------opposed to a fixed lens system where the plane of focus is always parallel to the film plane.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin