Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,365   Online: 753

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know, you are correct, but I felt obligated to say something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I know, you are correct, but I felt obligated to say something.
    Me too, but you beat me to it.

Pure neat's foot oil would be a better choice than 3-in-1. Extra-virgin olive oil would be a better choice... castor oil is an incredibly good lubricant... jojoba oil...
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 01-08-2013 at 09:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must confess that I am fairly ignorant when it comes to lubricants and oils. I have something labelled "sewing machine oil", which is fairly runny, would that work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    I must confess that I am fairly ignorant when it comes to lubricants and oils. I have something labelled "sewing machine oil", which is fairly runny, would that work?
    It will work, that is it will stop the chattering, but it will eventually spread and leave the bearings dry - as all petroleum oils will. You need a synthetic, vegetable, or animal oil, these oils have the property of "staying put" when applied to clean surfaces.

Nye or Moebius are two brands to look for online, you'll not find them at any local stores. You'll neeed to clean the mechanism first though, which means disassemble, clean the working surfaces with solvent and reassemble.
    Then, apply a very small amount of oil ot the pivots. A steel pen - the sort you dip in ink - is a good way to apply the oil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It will work, that is it will stop the chattering, but it will eventually spread and leave the bearings dry - as all petroleum oils will. You need a synthetic, vegetable, or animal oil, these oils have the property of "staying put" when applied to clean surfaces.

Nye or Moebius are two brands to look for online, you'll not find them at any local stores. You'll neeed to clean the mechanism first though, which means disassemble, clean the working surfaces with solvent and reassemble.
    Then, apply a very small amount of oil ot the pivots. A steel pen - the sort you dip in ink - is a good way to apply the oil.
    The entire cleaning process does seem a bit daunting, allthough I can't really say it "chatters" as such, I simply suspect that the speeds may be off as the body shutter has some other problems (the selector lever being stuck).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello CyberTrash;
    Yes, this is what you will see after the back is removed. You will notice that the shutter runs on two axles. The top axle runs in two bearings, on the left the bearing has a hole in it. Put two drops in here from the outside. Right side axle runs thru just above the winder knob, put two drops from the outside and one drop on the winder knob where it meets the plate. At the bottom of the plate is a slide lock for the shutter release. Make sure this is in the forward position. The bottom axle is oiled in the same matter except on the right side. Two drops placed where the drum meets the axle inside the camera. Also place a drop on the tension knob where it meets the lower plate. PM me with your email on the shutter, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snederhiser View Post
    Hello CyberTrash;
    Yes, this is what you will see after the back is removed. You will notice that the shutter runs on two axles. The top axle runs in two bearings, on the left the bearing has a hole in it. Put two drops in here from the outside. Right side axle runs thru just above the winder knob, put two drops from the outside and one drop on the winder knob where it meets the plate. At the bottom of the plate is a slide lock for the shutter release. Make sure this is in the forward position. The bottom axle is oiled in the same matter except on the right side. Two drops placed where the drum meets the axle inside the camera. Also place a drop on the tension knob where it meets the lower plate. PM me with your email on the shutter, Steven.
    Would this be with the shutter in the "O" position then?

I also sent you a PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin