Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,260   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Replacement shutter for Kodak Ektar 127mm

Like many others I made my entry into Large Format photography with a used Speed Graphic press camera, complete with the Kodak 127m Ektar "kit lens". Unfortunately, the supermatic shutter it came in was slow and, due to an accute lack of brain cells on my part, I'd figure I could fix this problem myself (around these parts a standard "CLA" would cost more than an entirely new lens from eBay). Needless to say, this shutter has seen it's final accutation.

Now despite having ruined such a fine old piece of machinery, I still have the actual lens, which is in a very nice condition. I thought I might get try to get a hold of a replacement shutter that will fit this lens, rather than getting a new lens entirely (hoping, obviously, to save some money). Unfortunately I am not quite sure what is available. Obviously the Kodak Supermatic shutter would work, but I am having some trouble finding one that doesn't already have a lens in it. What other options do I have?

And of course, a related question, is there a point to this venture, or am I completely misguided? Would I be better off just cutting my losses and getting a new 127mm Ektar, or shouldn't I bother with the lens at all, but rather recalibrate the camera (rangefinder and so on) to another focal length, such as my 165mm "normal" lens (allthough I think 127mm seems like a nice focal length for "press style" photos).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Henry, henry, henry... you may have it a little mixed up. I think you meant to write, "NEVER used WD-40, EVER."

... and, perhaps, you even forgot to mention that shutters need to be properly lubricate after being cleaned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    I've seen supermatics on EBAY regularly. If I recall, you need the most common Supermatic #2. Or Supermatic X size #2. Research that though. It's just my memory. I guess you know now a little naptha with about 15% paint thinner mixed in would have cured the problem..
    One is always smarter looking backwards, eh? The worst part is that it'd been fine if it wasn't for one screw on the back falling out.... Oh well.

I've been searching for Superamtic #2 shutters for quite a while on eBay, but to no avail unfortunately, am I just unlucky, or are they rare?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unlucky. Haven't you noticed that whatever we need is "temproarily unavailable" on ebay at the time of our need... no matter how common (and inexpensive) they were when we were "just looking"? That is like one of the latest laws of physics!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, it is not unlike playing with LEGOs as a child then....

I managed to er, "convert" the poor thing into a barrel lens (got the aperture mechanism back in place, and screwed together the casing so it sits where it should), seeing as I have a FP shutter it should hopefully suffice until I can get a hold of a new supermatic, speeds are probably even worse than they were with the in-lens shutter, but hey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    You'll be fine. Might want to work a drop of 3in1 oil into the 4 curtain bearings. It probably chatters from being dry.
    How would I go about doing that? As you can imagine, I'm not all that excited by the though of further DIY 'maintenance'...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello CyberTrash;
    Get a precision oiler, with the camera folded up and resting on your lap with the back facing you, take out the five screws holding on the spring back. Remove this! On the left side of the camera are two bearings with a hole top and bottom. From the outside place two drops of oil in each hole. On the right side top is the winding mech. Place another two drops on the shaft, letting it soak in, and while you are there place a drop on the winder. Lower right is the tension setting knob, place a drop here and look for the shaft going into the curtain drum. Place two drops there letting it soak in. Put the back on, this usually takes me ten minutes to do. By the way, I have an extra Supermatic shutter that was CLA'ed to fit a 127 ektar. Military X syncro. The above instructions are for a Anniversary Speed Graphic, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snederhiser View Post
    Hello CyberTrash;
    Get a precision oiler, with the camera folded up and resting on your lap with the back facing you, take out the five screws holding on the spring back. Remove this! On the left side of the camera are two bearings with a hole top and bottom. From the outside place two drops of oil in each hole. On the right side top is the winding mech. Place another two drops on the shaft, letting it soak in, and while you are there place a drop on the winder. Lower right is the tension setting knob, place a drop here and look for the shaft going into the curtain drum. Place two drops there letting it soak in. Put the back on, this usually takes me ten minutes to do. By the way, I have an extra Supermatic shutter that was CLA'ed to fit a 127 ektar. Military X syncro. The above instructions are for a Anniversary Speed Graphic, Steven.
    That does sound fairly simple... No risk of any springs or other funny business going flying off acidentally? I assume this image would be a good approximation of what I could expect to find under the spring back?

About the shutter: Would you perhaps be willing to part with it for a certain monetary compensation?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... but PLEASE don't use 3-in-1 oil. That is for coarser applications. PLEASE find some watch/clock oil.

p.s. that picture is EXACTLY what you will see when you remove the back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw;1443940[B
    ]... but PLEASE don't use 3-in-1 oil. That is for coarser applications. PLEASE find some watch/clock oil.[/B]
    p.s. that picture is EXACTLY what you will see when you remove the back.
    You might be pushing rope here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin