Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,435   Online: 969

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want something on the wide side, get a 90mm Agulon. (not super). They are plentiful. The dagors and WF ektars are good, but not especially better. There is also a 120mm angulon, but its hard to find.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I did some more research, and it was the Dagor 100mm that Link used. It's something like f6.8 though. Hmmm. It takes a lot of flash power to light up a train using ISO 400 and f8. I only have about 10,000ws to play with. Link's flash power was virtually unlimited shooting those big flashbulbs! There's also a Dagor 120mm. I'll keep an eye out for one of those two. Another possibility is the Super Angulon 90mm f5.6. I think it's a newer lens, but it would give me a faster f5.6. That would be helpful. You guys know your stuff! I was aware that fast wide angles were pretty scarce in this time period.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Y'know, if you have the budget and are willing to give up your fixation on older gear, you might consider getting a 90/5.6 Nikkor-SW, which covers 4x5 wide open, or a 95/4.5 Grandagon-N. These lenses weren't around when Mr. Link was active, but that's no reason to handicap yourself by using what he did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 90mm Angulon (not 'Super') is a very nice lens indeed, but with the bonus that it is older, so less coveted compared to modern Schneider's, meaning cheaper and you get a big bang-for-buck!

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    The 90mm Angulon (not 'Super') is a very nice lens indeed, but with the bonus that it is older, so less coveted compared to modern Schneider's, meaning cheaper and you get a big bang-for-buck!

Steve
    A good one is quite capapble of high quality results with minimal movements but there were quality issues with many earlier ones and some are awful, extremely poor.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post

Steve
    It (the Angulon) is also a reverse Dagor design and was patented in the U.S. in 1893, so it certainly fills the "vintage" requirement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E., are you sure of that date? I ask because I thought (a) that Schneider was founded after 1910 and (b) the Angulon was brought to market around 1930. Surely such a wonderful design would have seen the light of day in the 1890s if had been patented then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm positive, although I was a year off. The reverse construction was covered in the original U.S. Goerz 1894 patent albeit not in the wide-angle incarnation. http://ip.com/pat/US528155

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's also the B&L 88mm Wide-Angle f/6.8... a double gauss design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    how about an old wollensak ?
    they made many good wide angle lenses that don't harvest that much $$ these days ..
    everything from a series 111a exwa to a raptar ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin