Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,268   Online: 808

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Vintage Wide Lens for 4x5

I've been collecting historic (pre-Civil War) and vintage (1900-1930) lenses for awhile now, but am now looking for a newer lens. What I have in mind is a coated lens with X-sync that is fairly wide angle (e.g. 90mm to maybe 130mm.) I want a top line premium lens from the 1940s to mid 1950s, I think. Nothing newer. I've been looking at a Kodak Ektar 127mm, but am also considering a DAGOR. What else is out there? I will be using the lens for night shots of trains, using flash (fired by CyberSync radio triggers.) What wide lens was O.W. Link using?

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What wide lens was O.W. Link using?
    100mm WA Dagor I'd guess.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-12-2013 at 01:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak lenses from the period you are looking at (1900-1930) would be labeled Anastigmat Special. Ektar came in after coating started, though some of the later "Special" lenses I've seen are coated. This 1953 Kodak lens catalogue gives a good idea of what's available from them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coated with a flash sync - you might look for a post WWII Meyer Wide Angle Aristostigmat, the 80mm covers 5x4, or a 90mm Angulon.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kent, the 127/4.7 Ektar is a tessar type. Ain't no way it is a wide angle lens.

In addition to the wide angles suggested (Angulon, WW Aristostigmat) you might think about a Wide Field Ektar (read about all Ektars here: http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/KodakEktarsDB-Index.htm) or a Cooke Ser. VIIb. You might also want to consider a Wollensak wide angle, see http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...llensak_5.html .

All of these but the Angulon and (I think) the Wollys are 4 elements in 4 groups double Gauss types. The f/9.5 Wolly is an 8/4 double Gauss, I'm not sure what the f/12.5 is. I have and use an 80/6.3 WF Ektar, am very happy with it; not for you 'cos it won't cover 4x5. I have and don't use a 100/6.3 WW Aristostigmat; it isn't much good at large apertures, using it as a normal lens on a 2x3 Speed Graphic makes no sense.

Finally, Schneider brought f/8 Super Angulons to market in 1956. They'd just meet your mid-50s criterion and are very fine lenses.

Dagors' coverage is frequently disputed. My friend Eric Beltrando wrote a ray-tracing program and has used it to evaluate lens designs, got most of the prescriptions from patents. He has told me pointedly that f/6.8 and f/7.7 Dagor types cover at best 70 degrees and for stringent applications shouldn't be counted on for more than 55 degress. Visit www.dioptrique.info to learn more. f/8 and f/9 wide angle Dagors have more coverage, are typically very expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Kent, the 127/4.7 Ektar is a tessar type. Ain't no way it is a wide angle lens.
    Maybe not on its 'intended format' but 127mm is a wide angle when on 4x5 format. It would give a diagonal angle of view similar to a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ic, the normal focal length for 24x36 is 43 mm. 35 mm on 24x36 isn't very wide.

A 127 mm covering covers 150 mm requires a 61 degree angle of view. That's hardly what most of us mean by wide angle, and that's about as far as an f/4.7 tessar will go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Rodenstock Ysarex 127 from a Polaroid 110a or 110b will give you what you are asking for. It covers 4x5 easily with room for movements.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might find the 90mm wide angle perfect for your needs.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    ic, the normal focal length for 24x36 is 43 mm. 35 mm on 24x36 isn't very wide.

A 127 mm covering covers 150 mm requires a 61 degree angle of view. That's hardly what most of us mean by wide angle, and that's about as far as an f/4.7 tessar will go.
    So it is a wide angle, that is what I thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin