Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,029   Online: 879

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Strange metal cassettes

Yesterday i was given a dozen metal cassettes by someone who told me they were 4x5 cassettes. Obviously they aren't, because they are a lot smaller then the double slides i generally use and they don't fit the back of my Toyo camera. The outer dimensions are 14.5 x 10,0 x 0,4 mm. They are one sided and when opening them they show a nice stretch of dark red velvet, followed by a 9 x 12 inlay. I put an old piece of 9x12 film in it, which fits nicely. The 9x12 inlay can be removed, but you need considerable force for it and i don't see how this can be done in the dark without damaging the film in it. When tehy are removed the cassettes shows a nice spring mechanism to hold in the inlay in place. Does anyone of you know what these are and how to use them?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cassette 1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	62651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cassette 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	62652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cassette 3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	62653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cassette 4.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	62654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cassette 5.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	62655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cassette 6.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	62656

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are plate holders with cut film adapters. You need a pre-WWII 9x12 camera to use them with, the only problem is there was no standard so there's a few different edge types and you'd need to find what camera they fit.

If you wantto sell them let me know.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I do have a couple of Grafmatic filmholders and they are not the spetums tht belong to these. Each of the cassettes consist of three parts: a slide, a holder with the felt and the springmechanism and a 9x12 insert.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a very informative sticky in the plate camera section that describe these clearly. The septums allow the use of film in an otherwise glass plate holder. As you can imagine very useful for someone shooting with an old Avus or the like.
    greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They look like the Grafmatic flim holders however the holders are missing a loop. The fourth photograph is of a Grafmatic Septum. See http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/acc...html#Grafmatic
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    They look like the Grafmatic flim holders however the holders are missing a loop. The fourth photograph is of a Grafmatic Septum. See http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/acc...html#Grafmatic
    It's just coincidence, some film inserts to adapt plate holders for film use do look similar to Grafmatic septums because they have the same purpose although are used in a different context. These ones are just very common 9x12 dark slides (film holders).

This is the sticky thread Greg mentions.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you. That is interesting and answers a whole series of questions that I had.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had a look at the sticky treath on the plate camera forum and have to conlude that they are cassettes for a linhof type camera. Now to find such a camera...
    Thanks for helping me out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd guess you could use a Graflex septum as as film adapter in a 5x4 plate holder.

In the US Eastman Kodak made quarter plate film adapters to fit 9x12 plate holders, I acquired two brand new with their original box from the US this week week along with a full box of a dozen )and 4 extra) quarter plate film adapters for "quarter plate" plate holders.

Commercial dapters (Kodak, Zeiss etc) usually have strengthening ribs and it's the more simple 3rd party ones that are most similar to Graflex septums.

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    I had a look at the sticky treath on the plate camera forum and have to conlude that they are cassettes for a linhof type camera. Now to find such a camera...
    Thanks for helping me out!
    You replied as I was writing. You'd need a pre-WWII 9x12 Linhof, however some other cameras took the same holders I'm not sure which, possibly Silar.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think these cassettes are made for reproduction work with the Durst Otoka-system. I own some cassettes that look exactly the same, with different inside formats (6x9, 9x12 and 13x18) for the Larka-system that fits on the Durst G139 enlarger. Durst had different systems for reproduction with enlargers (Ursix, Urnov, Otoka, Larka and Larka 205 - according to an old copying manual), all with different sizes of cassettes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin