Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,818   Online: 784

Shooter
    35mm

Schneider Xenar Freezing Shutter?

I have a Crown Graphic Special and the stock 135mm f4.7 Schneider Xenar lens that I've been using and just recently used in sub zero climate. I quickly discovered the shutter having difficulty cocking ie it would move and not lock into place until after a couple tries and all shutter speeds were markedly slower. The one second exposure in particular would last for a good 3 seconds. I've sparsely come across the subject of "winterizing" and wonder what other people's experience are on the matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did it work in warm weather? It sounds to me more like regular ole run-of-the mill "needs to be CLA'd" to me. I've shot in cold weather with no problems from regular lubricants but never in sub zero temps. For sub-zero I'm sure there are special lubricants available but mostly I've heard people talking about no lubricants at all for those kinds of conditions. As I said... I'm shivering in my office and it is 64 degrees... so what do I know about extreme cold conditiions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Did it work in warm weather? It sounds to me more like regular ole run-of-the mill "needs to be CLA'd" to me. I've shot in cold weather with no problems from regular lubricants but never in sub zero temps. For sub-zero I'm sure there are special lubricants available but mostly I've heard people talking about no lubricants at all for those kinds of conditions. As I said... I'm shivering in my office and it is 64 degrees... so what do I know about extreme cold conditiions.
    What Brian said.

There are lubricants available which will function at temperatures in which people don't function, so no need to leave the mechanism dry; that's another legend.

I use an oil intended for aircraft instruments, it functions at -26F to my certain knowledge.

Shooter
    35mm
    Forgot to mention that it does work in room temperature. I figured it's probably due for a CLA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by davidave View Post
    Forgot to mention that it does work in room temperature. I figured it's probably due for a CLA.
    Overdue.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin