Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,785   Online: 951

Shooter
    Multi Format

Micro Technical help

Hello!
    I bought a cheap MPP Micro Technical off eBay, knowing it would not work perfectly.
    Firstly, the shutter (a press-compur) is super sticky, when i removed the cells, it would get a bit faster in the times, but nowhere near correct times, and cocking/shooting it improved the times, temporarily. 1/400 seems perfect, i think it might be a seperate mechanic part, because cocking it feels totally different. Does this sound like it just needs CLA, and can that be done easily?

Secondly, the image is really hard to see, as if the image follows me when i move around, and thus have to move my head around when i focus. I don't know if this is due to the focus hood missing, or maybe because of light leaks, or other (to me) less obvious reasons.
    I'm new to LF and view cameras, but i've read up a lot about it and my "other" camera is the RB67.

Cheers, and TIA
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The shutter needs a good clean and service. Unless you are confident in working with miniature clockwork mechanisms, it is probably best to send it out to an expert - Might be worth contacting gandolfi and see if he can recommend anyone in Denmark to do the job.

I have an MPP myself - Even with the viewing hood, I find it easier to take it off and use a darkcloth and then I can get in there with a loupe for focusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which version of the Micro Technical is it? You might want to look at the ground glass and see if it has a Fresnel lens (if you look at it through a loupe you should see concentric circles spreading from the middle and outwards). If it has got a fresnel then I'm afraid that's as bright as it'll be (unless you get a 'faster' lens), but if it doesn't you might want to install one, as this will help spreading the light on the ground glass (be careful though, if you install it 'behind' the ground glass it'll upset the focus).

I've been on the lookout for an MPP myself, how much did it cost you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the answers. Am i right in assuming Gandolfi is Emil S?
    @Cybertrash: Including shipping to Denmark, i paid 'round 2500 danish kroners for the camera, a really good and sturdy tripod and five fidelity double film holders.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    You might want to look at the ground glass and see if it has a Fresnel lens
    As far as I am aware, MPP never did a fresnel screen. However, if is fitted, it would probably from an aftermarket seller.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    Yup. The one and same - Noted for his bromoils and collection of vintage cameras & lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's probably not a very good focus screen changing it for a new screen would probably make a big differance often just over a stop faster. Then adding a fresnel in your case to the rear of the screen could add another 2 stops brightness.

I changed the screen then added a fresnel to my 1961 Pacemaker Graphic and that added close to 3½ stops overall brightness compared to the original focus screen, I did measured tests as well as comparative (alongside a second camera). I've a similar screen & fresnel in my Super Graphic and can use both handheld with ease with the original focus hoods.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    @Cybertrash: Including shipping to Denmark, i paid 'round 2500 danish kroners for the camera, a really good and sturdy tripod and five fidelity double film holders.
    That's really neat, I paid 2000SEK for my Speed Graphic, which turned out not to work that great... Is it the version with the Graflok back you got? All MPPs I've been able to find so far are in the 4-6000 range...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cybertrash:
    Yeah, they're in the same price range when i've seen them. Obviously, this is due to the lacks it has. It has standard back, yes, since the fidelity holders fit perfectly!

As noted i'm really new to LF, although i do understand what you're talking about, i don't know where to look for neither new GG nor a fresnel. Are both of these universal? And do is there some sort of good shop i should use instead of eBay?
    Cheers and thanks so far again.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are having a hard time seeing the image please make sure the lens is opened up fully. Yes I know you know to do that, but with all the other things you are thinking about..... A dark cloth is necessary in anything but brilliant light, when the focusing hood is adequate, so if you don't have one you aren't really missing anything. I use a XXXL heavy cotton black tee-shirt I got from Ebay at a tiny tiny fraction of the price of a custom made dark cloth, and the elastic neck hole can be put around the camera body to keep it in place. I use one of Steve Hopf's excellent ground glass screens with my MPP MkVIII, and measuring the standard with the replacement get another stop of light. His screens can be ordered direct or via Ebay. And as others have said, a fresnel will be brighter by maybe two stops over the standard screen.

Your shutter does have a separate mechanism for 1/400th and it will be stiffer enagaging it, so that is normal. Sometimes a sticky shutter can be activated again by carefully opening it up and swabbing the old grease out with naphtha (lighter fuel), but only try this if your feel confident in your abilities. Otherwise a repair man should treat it as an easy job.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicolai, I've sent you a PM about a screen, less than from the US and similar in Quality,Brightness etc (I have a Hopf screen). I get my fresnels from China these days via Ebay.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin