Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,839   Online: 1026

Shooter
    4x5 Format

When to Sell Historic Lenses?

Today I bought a fairly expensive Derogy Petzval on ebay. It went higher than I thought it would. SO, I need to sell a few other pre-Civil War Petzvals that I'm not using, so my wife won't holler. At least, not as much. I don't really need cash RIGHT NOW, and can wait some months to sell. I generally try to buy camera gear in late January or February as prices are at a low ebb. However, that's with "regular" stuff, not the vintage/historic stuff. Is there a "best month" to sell this kind of stuff? I have three Petzvals including a 6 inch Derogy, 4 inch Grubb, and 165mm Voigtlander (serial dates to 1865.) I've been shooting them on a 4x5 Chamonix.

Second question is about flanges. The Derogy has its original flange, but the Grubb and Voigtlander don't have one. Would I be better off getting flanges from SK Grimes, or is not having one a major negative?

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For rare stuff, I don't know that timing is as important, but early spring is when most photographers are getting their kits in order--and wallets open a bit more. For wet platers getting cameras built now for the spring, winter is a good time to buy a lens, but your Petzvals may be a little short to catch that crowd. I guess I'd just list them and see what happens. The Grimes flanges won't bring any more money beyond the cost of the flange, so I wouldn't bother. Lots of us have a board with an iris clamp for small stuff like yours and small lenses are easy to jury rig anyway. Good luck with your sales.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin