Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,555   Posts: 1,573,149   Online: 825

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Two of my all-time favorite environmental portraits:
    The one of the cook is excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, love the whole thing about it. The tonality, the subject, the enviroment, etc.

The one with the birds? That's the painter Henri Matisse, photographed by Bresson.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Yeah, love the whole thing about it. The tonality, the subject, the enviroment, etc.

The one with the birds? That's the painter Henri Matisse, photographed by Bresson.
    I know. It's far too cluttered IMO.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    August Sander was a master of the environmental portrait. That one is a perfect combination of subject and context. There's enough context to provide meaningful information about the subject without distracting from it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The one of the cook is excellent.
    +1!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    +1!
    It's just right, the surroundings complement and support the subject (as TFC pointed out) and it's technically excellent. One of my all time favorite photos for the past 35 years or so.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It's just right, the surroundings complement and support the subject (as TFC pointed out) and it's technically excellent. One of my all time favorite photos for the past 35 years or so.
    I agree. The photograph stunned me the first time that I saw it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's everything an environmental portrait is supposed to be and more. It's art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless I'm badly mistaken, both Sander and Bresson used a normal lens for those portraits, 150-210 mm on 4x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey all -- Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for your advice and suggestions -- you've helped me wade through the plethora of decisions and options that are out there. I haven't nailed a decision yet, but I did find a couple of interesting lenses at a local camera store -- a 215mm f/6.3 Ilex Caltar which seems to have a functioning shutter, though it is missing its rear lens cell. I bought it in hopes that someone on this or some other forum might have the rear cell and be willing to part with it for a modest sum. Anyone?

The other lens I found and purchased is a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/4.5 in what seems to be a working Compur shutter. The serial number on the lens dates the lens to 1938, an interesting historical moment in Germany -- stuff like that really fascinates me. I was able to modify the CZJ lens' board to fit my Super Speed Graphic, not perfectly, but workable. And if I cannot find someone who's willing to part with their Caltar 215mm lens cell(s), then I'll just have to return the partial lens to the camera store and keep on searching for my long 4x5 lens.

Thanks again,

Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin