Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,831   Online: 833

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Flash bulbs meant for focal plane shutters had a longer burn time to accommodate the moving slit. Electronic flash cannot do this, AFAIK. I think the bulbs were labeled FP or something similar.

If I remember correctly, FP bulbs were bayonet-base, gas filled fast peak bulbs designed to be used with X sync at faster shutter speeds. Regular flash bulbs didn't work well at high shutter speeds because you only got to use a small part of the burn (and thus got a low guide number).

There were long peak bulbs designed for focal plane shutters; I think they were all screw-base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    If I remember correctly, FP bulbs were bayonet-base, gas filled fast peak bulbs designed to be used with X sync at faster shutter speeds. Regular flash bulbs didn't work well at high shutter speeds because you only got to use a small part of the burn (and thus got a low guide number).

There were long peak bulbs designed for focal plane shutters; I think they were all screw-base.
    I understand FP to stand for focal plane. However, regarding X-sync- I have several cameras with separate sockets for X sync and FP sync.
    So it would appear they were not designed for X sync.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Flashbulbs were/are often used in large reflectors. And they put out a deliciously large amount of light.

Electronic flashes are often designed to be as small as possible. That means smaller amounts of light pumped into smallish reflectors.

The size and the shape of the reflectors and the quantity of light emitted by the source makes a big difference on how the photos appear.

Flashbulbs in a large reflector
    Sunpak makes, or made, the 120J flash, a bare bulb with large parabolic reflector, to emulate bulb-type flashes. Anyone I've talked to who has used one has loved the quality of the light from it, compared to regular strobes. Prices on used units have remained strong.

Some other companies made similar units.

Shooter
    35mm
    From this: http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i.../t-102581.html it appears the fast-peak bulbs I remember were type F. They required the use of the X-sync terminals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Flash bulbs meant for focal plane shutters had a longer burn time to accommodate the moving slit. Electronic flash cannot do this, AFAIK. I think the bulbs were labeled FP or something similar.
    As I recall, they were called fast-rise, even-burn, long-burn types.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What about the pulsed electronic flashes? Has anyone adapted something like the Olympus flash for OM-4T for FP sync?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "FP sync was used with FP (flat-peak) flash bulbs designed specifically for use with focal-plane shutters."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Were there older (lens) shutters that had M synch but not X?

As people have said, flashbulbs put out a huge amount of light. I don't have any, or anything that uses them, but some day I will. A press camera with working properly cammed rangefinder and flash with a stock of bulbs is on my "someday, because it would be cool" list.

Shooter
    35mm
    Of those you've dealt with, which US retailer might be my best resource for flashbulbs, then?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I have enough flashbulbs to last the rest of my life. Roughly 3,000 or so. Mostly edison base, with about 500-600 Press 25's & 5B's And 2 unopened cases of Bantaom 8's. I used about 100 or so a year, mostly when I want to try something different or have a style I want to mimic.

I have 4 more tupperware cases filled with bulbs.

Attachment 63563
    Dean Taylor,

Though Shootar401 hasn't volunteered... you might post a Want-To-Buy in the classifieds...

APUG might be the best place to find some flashbulbs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin