Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,759   Online: 1058

Shooter
    Medium Format

Schneider Super Angulon 165mm

Last weekend a portrait photographer sold me his 8x10 camera gear. One of the lenses that I got was a 165mm Schneider Super Angulon which
    I have sent to Schneider to be cleaned, lubed and adjusted. Can anyone tell me anything about this lens ? At 165 mm it seems to be a wide angle lens
    for 8x10 format, but the photographer I bought it from seems to have been a portrait photographer, Wayne Lavorik, who does have quite the bio and resume.

Check him out : https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&...r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.

I can't wait to get the lens back and start shooting 8x10.

Thanks,
    Charles

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    You say "one of his lenses" - 165mm, commonly the Angulon, is common in 10x8" kits, they seem to follow them around. I have the little "bubble" Angulon which is not getting as much use as the other lenses, but once in a while for someone on their farm or verandah it is very useful

PS, edit, Just had a look and I remember some of WL's images fro Creative Camera in the 1970s, I have them here but won't look now. Anyhow, a few of his pix look wide angle. To take this to extreme look at the nudes of Bill Brandt and have fun with your lens
    Last edited by John Austin; 02-05-2013 at 05:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A 165mm is a wide angle on 8x10. The 165 Angulon will just cover 8x10 but the Super Angulon has plenty of coverage for 8x10 with movements.

You got yourself a nice lens!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Austin View Post
    You say "one of his lenses"
    I got two lenses, the 165 and a 305mm Bausch and Lomb Tessar Ic 305mm E.F. f/4.5 with a gold dot mounted in what I think may be a Betax 5 shutter and two 8x10 cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both the 165 Angulon and the Super Angulon and they are both very nice. The SA will give you a large image circle allowing for movements but it weighs a lot and it often stays at home. I am always pleased with the pictures when I use it though.
    A nice lens, congratulations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you look at the shots on the Wayne Lavorik links many are shot with wide angle lenses, my prefered lens on a Mamiya 645 when working with models is a 45mm which is equivalent to that 165mm on a 10x8. It's an enviromental style of portrait where you invlude the surroundings.

The 165mm SA's are great lenses, mine own came from a portrait photographer in New York along with a 10x8 camera.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a famous lens for 8X10. Everyone I have ever known who had one bitched about the size and weight and loved it dearly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I am not mistaken, it covers 11x14. Someone more blessed than I (I have never owned one) should chime in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Schneiders figures are based on Continental sizes so the 165mm covers 240mm x300mm which is more like 10"x12" with an image circle of 394(5)mm, both at f22.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin