Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,436   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Strange Light Leaks... Help?

I've recently acquired a 4x5 Super D Graflex SLR (Awesome!!!)

I got impatient for my slotted film holders to come in the mail, so I took a pack film holder and rigged it up with some x-ray film, but I experienced some unusual light leaks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-5.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	63767 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-6.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	559.1 KB 
ID:	63768

I assumed that I had improperly light proofed the pack film back, so I waited for my first film holder to come in the mail.

Well, it came in today, so I excitedly loaded it up and ran 4 sheets with it. I just developed those sheets, and on two of them, I have the same issue.

Is this even a light leak? I've never seen the like before. Is it possible that it could be caused by bad light traps in the DDS and pack film back? It would explain why 50% of the shots with the DDS are leaked if one side has a faulty trap, however, I would think that a light leak from the DDS would have a more distinctive and feathered appearance...

I'll post the other sheets when they are dry enough to scan

*edit* adding quick cell phone snaps of the affected negs... luckily the two portraits I shot came out ... alright. Both on different loadings of the holder

Name:	image (1).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	63780 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	63781
    Last edited by EASmithV; 02-06-2013 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks more like a malfunctioning focal plane shutter than a light leak. Shutter stalls just before closing so that strip at the top ends up over exposed. Also note in your first pic that there is shake at the top of the pic that isn't evident lower down? All points to that area getting more exposure, ie image forming light rather than a leak as such.

Fran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Perhaps you're right... the shutter bounces a bit on closing on the A tension... Which would explain the consistent size of the exposed strip on the image, and why I only get it on the A tension. Why is this, and how can I prevent it?
    Last edited by EASmithV; 02-06-2013 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now, that I can't tell you..... but I'll bet there is some adjustment in there and you'll get an answer over at graflex.org if not here.....

Good luck with it!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    here are the scans
    I used a modified barrel lens, so don't confuse optical distortion with motion blur

Name:	Untitled-7.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	527.5 KB 
ID:	63786 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-8.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	63787

And here are two shot at the B tension setting on Low. I'm guessing the reduced contrast toward the bottom on the first one is due to shooting an uncoated lens into a backlit-ish area?

Name:	Untitled-9.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	489.8 KB 
ID:	63788 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-10.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	498.6 KB 
ID:	63789

Could this be an error with the shutter brake? does this even have a shutter brake?
    Last edited by EASmithV; 02-06-2013 at 10:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just checked my Pacemaker speed... The shutter curtain on it when set to a similar tension also bounces slightly, however, it seems like it is wound far enough into the body by the time the travel stops that when it bounces it avoids exposing any film.

I also discovered something interesting... With the rotating back set at a 45* angle, i can see a little bit into the bottom of the camera. When the curtain ceases it's travel, it is not far traveled into the camera body at all. In fact, it's travel stops at the free spinning roller inside the back. When it comes to a stop, it bounces, exposing the film. However, when it has come to rest and finished bouncing it has returned to its original position with the metal lip of the shutter opening resting on the metal roller. But then, when you bring the mirror back down again, the shutter drops into the camera to the point where the metal lip is much further below the roller.

However, even when it is set so that the natural resting place is where the metal lip is below the roller, by winding it by hand and releasing it, it still bounces up above the roller and to the point where it would re-expose the film.
    Last edited by EASmithV; 02-06-2013 at 09:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Strange Light Leaks... Help?

It's broken you should get rid of it and send it to me for the cost of shipping...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Anyone know where to get a manual for disassembling this camera?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    eric

before you disassemble
    does mirror locks up all the way
    sometimes they dangle and obstruct

make sure there isn't a problem with your film holders too
    take a regular unslotted holder and tape it ( masking tape ) to the back
    shoot a paper negative ..
    tape a sheet of waxed paper on the back and focus on it like ground glass
    so you might see what is going on with the lens on B ... flip the switch
    and flip up the mirror ..

- john

ps. what does the seller say? did he/ she know about this strange problem?
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-07-2013 at 09:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The mirror swings free and clear. Everything is crisp and snappy except for the bounce of the shutter on the A tension. When shot at other speeds, its yielding a good negative.
    I have not contacted the seller, but seeing as he is on APUG, he may find out presently anyway.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin