Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,234   Online: 741

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There seem to be big differences in CLA's.

The repairers I use send back shutters with accurate speeds whereas some (reputable) US repairers send shutters back with comparison charts - actual shutter speed as opposed to marked speed, I'm talking about way outside the +/- 30%, the price is quite a lot lower though in the US for that CLA.

the UK CLA's I' had are more ln the region of +/- 10% which is acceptable.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

The repairers I use send back shutters with accurate speeds whereas some (reputable) US repairers send shutters back with comparison charts - actual shutter speed as opposed to marked speed, I'm talking about way outside the +/- 30%, the price is quite a lot lower though in the US for that CLA.

Ian
    You gets what you pays for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You gets what you pays for.
    I think that's right, but it's also the repairers skill and expertise, the worst service I've had was from a camera importer's own workshop.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is 30% error acceptable in a lightmeter? No. Aperture calibration? No. Then why on shutter speeds?
    Intellectually and emotionally I agree. But lightmeters and apertures aren't spec'd the same as a mechanical shutter, so the comparison is interesting but not quite the same. The spec's are what the spec's are. Sure, there is always someone who can improve upon most mechanical specs that but it generally involves a lot more effort/cost.

The potential for additive error in the total exposure chain is huge, though. I cetainly agree with that point!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Intellectually and emotionally I agree. But lightmeters and apertures aren't spec'd the same as a mechanical shutter, so the comparison is interesting but not quite the same. The spec's are what the spec's are. Sure, there is always someone who can improve upon most mechanical specs that but it generally involves a lot more effort/cost.

The potential for additive error in the total exposure chain is huge, though. I cetainly agree with that point!
    It most certainly is the same. A 30% error in a shutter, an aperture, or or a lightmeter will have precisely the same effect on exposure.

What if your development timer ticked off a minute in 42 seconds? That's a 30% error.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It most certainly is the same. A 30% error in a shutter, an aperture, or or a lightmeter will have precisely the same effect on exposure.
    I'm talking about the error spec on the specification sheet or industry standard, not the resulting effect. In other words, the ANSI/ISO spec for light meter calibration is probably not anything close to 30% error. I don't ahve the standard at hand but I'm remembering from memory. But, Yes, of course the effect of error anywhere in the exposure chain affects the exposure on film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For years, once a year I would send my Minolta SLR [various models over 30 years] for a CLA and shutter recalibration. I never had a problem. Unfortunately both Minolta and their repair center are no longer with us.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

the UK CLA's I' had are more ln the region of +/- 10% which is acceptable.

Ian
    This has been my experience and why I asked the question. I sent a lens and shutter to a very reputable service person who returned it in a month with a piece of paper noting the same times I was fussing over. No adjustment had been made so I bought the Calmuet tool and compensate at exposure. I was wondering if I was wrong in expecting "Adjustment" to mean adjust the shutter to the correct time? I guess I was.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No matter the discussion of what an acceptable error is... the -1.5 stop measurement indicates that something is wrong with either your shutter or the CLA... assuming that the measurement is accurate, of course. That value alone is worth worrying about and I think you should rightfully expect it to be closer to the intended value. -1.5 stops is out of spec no matter who's spec one is considering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    This has been my experience and why I asked the question. I sent a lens and shutter to a very reputable service person who returned it in a month with a piece of paper noting the same times I was fussing over. No adjustment had been made so I bought the Calmuet tool and compensate at exposure. I was wondering if I was wrong in expecting "Adjustment" to mean adjust the shutter to the correct time? I guess I was.
    Well, it's quite apparent that a CLA from some US "reputable" repairers is not of the standard we expect in Europe.

I'd rather pay more for a proper service (cla) knowing it'll be many years before another's needed, I would not accept a lens back with a piece of paper telling me how inaccurate my shutter is.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin