Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,692   Online: 940

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure it is as much a matter of nationalistic expectations as much as it is that some folks prefer to go the budget route, and ends up with a budget job. It just so happens that a couple of the budget repair shops are in USA. Tightwads come from all nations... And I can speak with experience about both American and British tightwads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm... seems to me a re-birth of electronic shutters is in order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm not sure it is as much a matter of nationalistic expectations as much as it is that some folks prefer to go the budget route, and ends up with a budget job. It just so happens that a couple of the budget repair shops are in USA. Tightwads come from all nations... And I can speak with experience about both American and British tightwads.
    Brian, I'm sure it's not a Nationalistic thing, of course there's repairers in the US on a par with those in Europe, however there is a tendency on these Forums to recommend repair shops that don't seem to do full CLA's and return shutters with comparison charts of actual speed against marked speed where actual speeds are way outside the +/- 30%.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, indeed, Ian... that is the situation.

Tightwads and hacks exist on both continents. Unfortunately they tend to go hand-in-hand... and as someone already said, "you gets what yew pays fer."

It seems painfully clear from numerous forum postings that the "bargain" repair shops do abargain job... which is fine some of the time but not always.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 02-10-2013 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. Regarding Bruce's shutter and its speeds... if he indeed just had it serviced it should be returned as "not properly serviced".

And if one has requirements to be within 10% on all speeds then that should be an agreement prior to the CLA so it can be priced accordingly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    p.s. Regarding Bruce's shutter and its speeds... if he indeed just had it serviced it should be returned as "not properly serviced".

And if one has requirements to be within 10% on all speeds then that should be an agreement prior to the CLA so it can be priced accordingly.
    Brian, no it was not the same lens. A different lens and a different time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Brian, I'm sure it's not a Nationalistic thing, of course there's repairers in the US on a par with those in Europe, however there is a tendency on these Forums to recommend repair shops that don't seem to do full CLA's and return shutters with comparison charts of actual speed against marked speed where actual speeds are way outside the +/- 30%.

Ian
    The term you are looking for is caveat emptor.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm talking about the error spec on the specification sheet or industry standard, not the resulting effect. In other words, the ANSI/ISO spec for light meter calibration is probably not anything close to 30% error. I don't ahve the standard at hand but I'm remembering from memory. But, Yes, of course the effect of error anywhere in the exposure chain affects the exposure on film.
    Well, It's my opinion that the error spec. is in error. As far as getting the shutter back with a slip of paper giving the real vs. marked speeds, how would you feel if I returned your Hamilton 992 with an error chart? (You can get 3 decent 992s for the price of one new Copal 3)

I think it should be a matter of prior agreement as to whether or not the slip of paper is acceptable. The speeds should at very least be within whatever the accepted industry spec. is, regardless of whether or not I think that is a valid spec..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The speeds should at very least be within whatever the accepted industry spec. is, regardless of whether or not I think that is a valid spec..
    Yes, that is my point. I certainly don't want to get into an arguement about whether the spec is right, wrong, or both. You know what they say about engineers and @holes!

and regarding 992s... yes, I would expect that to be very exact. My 15j Waltham... another story. Different engineering; different spec.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, that settles it. I'm having all my lenses adapted to old Ilex shutters that are so-o-o-o simple to service and adjust. Ya' gotta love the nice round apertures too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin