Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,523   Online: 1020

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am working on this conversion right now. 3x4 Super D fitted with a 4x5 Graflok back. I have the back on already, and trimmed down so it's not that much bigger. Need to adjust the focus ground glass and compare with the ground glass back, to make sure they are in agreement. I built a new front standard lensboard and quick-change lensboard system to allow interchangable lenses faster and larger than the original. I rigged a prism on it too, so it will be ideal for handheld shooting. It's much lighter than the 4x5 RB, although to save space and weight, I mounted mine with the back vertical (e.g. no longer rotates). All the conversion so far is 100% reversible, with only a minor modifcation to the rotating baseplate piece, which would not hurt or impede any function if someone wanted to switch it back to 3x4. (not that I feel bad about modifying one of these at all, nor should anyone really - they are not uber rare nor in any sort of real demand.) I believe it will cover about 4x4.25 or 4x4.5", give or take. I'll fit mine initially with a 8" pentac f/2.9 but also plan to try an aero ektar on it, and perhaps other lenses. There's a limited focal length range that will work with this camera, depending on the size of the lens. Probably somewhere around 150mm - 210mm or so. I'll post pics and details once I get it finished. I was inspired by Minnicks work, but didn't want to pay his prices plus I enjoy the DIY aspect of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    My solution:

Got a Beseler 45 MX II enlarger off of eBay: Cost $17
    Got a 3x4 film holder off of eBay: Cost $30
    Got a Schneider 135mm Componon-S enlarging lens: cost $50

I just print the 3x4 film myself. Setup cost was less than $100.
    You forgot the Patterson System 4 tank (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details) with the homemade nylon screen rolls to make film tacos out of. 40 bucks.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To process the film I am currently using an old FR (Fink-Roselieve) Model DT-500 Cut-Film-Pack Developing Tank. It was free in another camera deal. Yes, I know that these things have an evil reputation, but I kind of like the thing.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    tim and dave

you are preaching to the choir
    i couldn't agree with you more ...

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    So what would a 6x9 Graphics roll film holder for a 3x4 rb be worth? My daughter goes to college next year....
    The Graflex back 3x4 rollholders usually run $80 and up. I've found them on eBay before. If you are interested, I might be willing to part with a 12 exposure back (2 inch square). By the way, all of these for 3x4 cameras are the knob wind variety but you should be able to use other inserts in the shell.
    Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    dave

that's cheap !

several years ago i bought a 3x4 series b it was beautiful
    and belonged to a press photographer back in the day ...
    i eventually sold it because i was never able to find a roll film holder
    that was in my budget ... and i didn't want to take a skill saw to the 4x5 holder i already had ...

now you 2 are making me want to get a 3x4 graflex small and easy to use
    and roll holders a'plenty ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    dave

that's cheap !

several years ago i bought a 3x4 series b it was beautiful
    and belonged to a press photographer back in the day ...
    i eventually sold it because i was never able to find a roll film holder
    that was in my budget ... and i didn't want to take a skill saw to the 4x5 holder i already had ...

now you 2 are making me want to get a 3x4 graflex small and easy to use
    and roll holders a'plenty ...
    The roll holders are quite hard to source for 3-1/4x4-1/4 cameras. There is one for a 3-1/4x4-1/4 Graphic back camera on eBay right now.
    Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess it's all a matter of preference, I guess. Some people think it's blasphemous to modify a camera to do something beyond what the original designers intended. Some people think it's a bigger sin to let a perfectly capable equipment sit & rot on a shelf, even if 'rot' meant keeping it pristine and polished.

Some people consider a fraction of the 4x5 film not being utilized is a 'waste'. Some people, like me, consider putting a roll film back (even 6x9) behind a lens with a larger coverage is a waste of the image circle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    I guess it's all a matter of preference, I guess. Some people think it's blasphemous to modify a camera to do something beyond what the original designers intended. Some people think it's a bigger sin to let a perfectly capable equipment sit & rot on a shelf, even if 'rot' meant keeping it pristine and polished.

Some people consider a fraction of the 4x5 film not being utilized is a 'waste'. Some people, like me, consider putting a roll film back (even 6x9) behind a lens with a larger coverage is a waste of the image circle
    All those photons giving their lives in vain.
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The simplest solution is to replace the 3x4 Graflex back with a 4x5 Graflex back not a 4x5 Graflok

I have just fitted a 4x5 Graflex back to a camera that had previously for reasons that escape my understanding a previous owner had fitted a 3x4 Graflok.

It was just stuck on to the rotating plate. It fell off . Actually very little difference between the registration distances on the 3x4 Graflex and 3x4 Graflok. So sticking it on was not such a bad idea if better glue had been used. The backs are both about 3mm thick as is a 4x5 Graflock. A 4x5 Graflex is about 6mm thick hence the need for a conversion plate when when converting from 4x5 Graflex (approx 6mm thick) to 4x5 Graflok (3mm thick).That is the plate Bert Saunders supplies. You need to shim the back as it is impossible to to lower the reflex ground glass though you can of course raise it. If doing the conversion the other way.

If you convert a 3x4 Graflex backed Super D You just screw or use machine screws as I did the 4x5 Graflex back to the rotating plate.

If you rotate the back through 45 degrees you will find 4 very convenient screw holes in the metal rotating plate you can use to assist you..
    The ground glass on the back is then 3mm or so further back than it was previously. You need to shim the reflex ground glass further up to compensate for this difference

If you remove the hood and the springs securing the ground glass you can remove the ground glass. You will find that supporting the front edge of the ground glass are two little brackets. Unscrew these. To the rear the ground glass is supported by a wooden shelf.
    Cut a little strip of wood 3mm thick and stick using whatever you like the 3mm strip of wood to the shelf. Stick a 3mm thick sliver of wood to each of the brackets I used super glue. Reassemble.

The Graflex back only overhangs the body of the camera by less than 1/2 inch on each side it really is a rather compact back unlike the 4x5 Graflock which is huge and needs to be hacked about to make it fit. The 4x5 Graflex back is actually smaller than a 3x4 Graflok.

When Polaroid was available to use with 4x5 Graflok backs their was an advantage to some people of fitting them. Now Polaroid has gone the advantage has flipped the other way with the ability to use bag mags etc with a Graflex that you do not have with a Graflok.

It took a long while for the penny to drop for me that this was the way to go. I like the format I also have another 3x4 Graflex backed Super D, a 3x4 Graflex backed Speed Graphic and I have converted a quarter plate Sanderson Field camera to 3x4 Graflex back too mainly because I could not find a roll film holder to fit it. I like being able to use the roll film holders and bag mags between my cameras but Efke has now gone leaving only Wephoto or the Ilford special order run and quarter plate FP4 + is twice the price of 4x5 here in UK.

Roger
    Last edited by yronnen; 02-12-2013 at 09:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin