Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,423   Online: 813

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

converting graflex rb super 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" to 4" x 5"

Hello there,
    I have both a graflex rb super 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" and a graflex rb series b 4" x 5". I was wondering if there is a way to modify the 3 1/4" to accept the 4 x 5 back? I realize that the image on the negative would be cropped, but it would be much nicer for me to have just the 4" x 5" to deal with in terms of my local shop that develops the negatives for me (does not like to do the 3 1/4" and the carrier size of my scanner; (epson V700 with only 4 x 5 carrier size), and the better variety of emulsions available in 4 x 5. I would imagine that the ground glass would also have to be masked off as well? Any insight on this would be great and much appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you actually get most of the 4x5 image. There are people who have done this.

http://johnminnicks.com/

that guy has done it before
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest that you post your question on www.graflex.org and email 45PSS on that website.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm currently inquiring Bert Saunders on exactly this topic. Will get back to you when I hear back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow... thoughts of butchering another 3x4 Graflex. Why not just go get a 4x5 Graflex?
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    you actually get most of the 4x5 image. There are people who have done this.

http://johnminnicks.com/

that guy has done it before
    Is it just me of does his work look very shoddy? Looks like he enjoys hacking up some nice cameras too.

The instagram style photos on his site put me off from the start.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Wow... thoughts of butchering another 3x4 Graflex. Why not just go get a 4x5 Graflex?
    Don't know about the OP, but here are my reasons:

With the 3x4 Graflex

1. You can't get 3x4 film (or are very limited in options)
    2. You can't shoot 3x4 Polaroid (which is idiotic)
    3. It's smaller than the 4x5 sibling with almost all the coverage of 4x5
    4. The body is short enough to mount the Kodak Aero-Ektar 178mm f2.5 and still get infinity focus (see John Minnick's creations linked to above)
    5. Most importantly, the Graflok mod is 100% reversible

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I contacted Bert Saunders a week ago, he is no longer in the graflex repair and modification business.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for all your input on this subject. I do have the 4 x 5 series b that I enjoy very much. But the automatic iris feature of the super 3 1/4"x 4 1/4" is just great for taking photos of my kids (with them always changing position, never sitting still and all)! I just thought this would be a good avenue to explore because I have looked at getting an auto 4 x 5 and the prices for them are getting pretty silly and way out of my range. I just love using these cameras though. I have a burke and james 4 x 5 that I hardly ever use anymore because these cameras are so much fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pablogustav welcome to APUG!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin