Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,017   Online: 819

Shooter
    35mm

4x5 Riteway filmholders binding...

hello

Having just received a set of Riteway film holders, it became apparent that the dark slide (term?) does not move in to the holder.

Q: if you have encountered this with your own Riteways did you attempt to apply any kind of lubricant to the groove?

I can barely get the slides fully forward in the light--in a dark bag it would be a virtual impossibility...

Any remedies are gratefully received.

Dean
    Last edited by Dean Taylor; 02-11-2013 at 07:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first thing I do is check the slot for obstructions/dirt with a toothpick. You'd be surprised at the crud that can build up in old film holders. (especially if the original owners were heavy smokers... which seems to be just about all of them) There are TWO tracks... one for the film, an one for the darkslide. You might as well clean them both; if one is dirty, the other most likely is as well. Don't bend the metal guides or you are sunk. Make sure you check the slot in the loading flap as well. I clean my darkslides every few months, paying special attention to the edges. I then rub the edges with a bit of candle wax and buff them a little. If you've got a bad holder, this won't fix it, but it should be sufficient for ones that are just stiff from lack of exercise.
    I'm sure others will have more experienced advice to offer, but this has kept my slides working fairly consistently.

Let us know how things work out.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once the slots are cleaned, apply bee's wax to the edges of the dark slide.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    much obliged, gang!

Another concern involves what seems a likelihood of touching the emulsion--even a bit--as the film is loaded into the Riteway holders (in the dark, of course). Even the slightest contact (thumb/forefinger) at the very corner seems like it might...'mar' the emulsion side of the film.

Q: having noted this concern, just how delicate/sensitive to the touch is the 4x5 emulsion side of the film--considered both before and after exposure? Also, sliding the film into the quite-narrow holder seems risky, i.e., the possibility of...'scraping' (for lack of a better term) the emulsion side on some part of the holder as the film is slid in.

thanks again!

Dean Taylor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might check here. It helped me visualize loading when I started and had no issues.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/loading.html
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin