Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,384   Online: 1049

Shooter
    Medium Format

Focal plane shutter repair

I just picked up a Butcher Popular Pressman 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 SLR (like a Graflex Series B). It's in great shape except the focal plane shutter...it has been removed. The spindles on which it rotates are still there as well as the hardware to wind it just not the curtain. Is there anybody who does this kind of repair work? Am I just going to have to use a lens cap as a shutter? Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Pete

Shooter
    35mm
    emh, exscuse me for intrusion: are you speaking about this one?
    hoping that could help you:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/borniny...7848/lightbox/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure about the shutter on the Butcher Popular Pressman, I make shutter curtains for other similar British SLR's but ideally a pattern helps. (I supply curtain material to a leading US repair man). I've 3 SLR's sat here waiting for new shutters but a back-log of restorations/repairs.

Most British shutters are rather more sophisticated compared to Graflex cameras, that's an advantage as they need much less shutter cloth and two curtains as opposed to one long continuous curtain with a number of slits.

There's a few variations to the Houghton Butcher focal plane shutters depending on the age of the camera.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin