Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,516   Online: 1107

Shooter
    Multi Format

Switch on my shutter/ lens....

I have a Graphic View 4x5. I've shot it using studio strobes in the past. Not many times, but I have. I use pocket wizards to fire the strobes via the two post on the lens, using alligator clips cabled to my PW.

I shot a girl the other day in the studio with it, and developed the film today. Just blank pieces of film came out.

I don't think there is a polarity thing with regard to those two post on the lens, because I can switch the alligator clips and the strobes still fire. I know for a fact, I did take the dark slide out on both shots.

The shutter has a switch that goes from Fx, M, M. One of the M's is red. That's the one I used. Was it the wrong one?

What are those 4 settings for anyway? I can't tell you what shutter / lens I have, since I'm home right now. Was more curious than anything.

Any info you can shed on this, will be greatly appreciated.
    Go to the light......

www.keepsakephotography.us

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You want X sync for electronic flash.
    M is for M series flashbulbs of yore…

Try this for fun.
    Take the back off and set your lens to 4.5 or whatever the widest is.
    Fire your shutter with strobes connected at a white wall and observe through the lens from the rear with the sync switch on different settings.

The M has a delay so it allowed the bulb to burn up to full intensity.
    A strobe is instantaneous so the shutter opens too late with an M setting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Bruce.
    Go to the light......

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have done the same thing -- X is for Excellent, M is for Moron--- and this switch is found on a LOT of lenses. I know Mamiya all have it.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Searust View Post
    I have done the same thing -- X is for Excellent, M is for Moron--- and this switch is found on a LOT of lenses. I know Mamiya all have it.
    The word excellent starts with an "E", not an "X". It sounds like a Wollensack shutter with the delay for synchronization of flash bulbs.

The "F-X" setting is for "Fast" peak flash bulbs or for electronic flash. In this setting, the flash contact is closed as soon as the shutter is open.
    The "M" settings delay the shutter from opening after the flash contact is closed and they are meant to synchronize "Medium" peak flash bulbs.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ... sad.. When in doubt read the manual!
    Same for my friend who keeps asking me what the buttons do on his car (that I have a similar one of) I say read the manual!!
    My dad taught me about those switches on an old Ansco Regent he gave me to use in 1979.

You will see the "M" would have worked if you had the shutter set to perhaps 1/30 or for sure 1/15. Do the test mentioned above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    The word excellent starts with an "E", not an "X". It sounds like a Wollensack shutter with the delay for synchronization of flash bulbs.

The "F-X" setting is for "Fast" peak flash bulbs or for electronic flash. In this setting, the flash contact is closed as soon as the shutter is open.
    The "M" settings delay the shutter from opening after the flash contact is closed and they are meant to synchronize "Medium" peak flash bulbs.
    Thanks...

It is a Wollensack. I've used it before in a studio enviroment, but for some unknown reason, I switched the damn thing to M ...

Brain fart
    Go to the light......

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    . . . You will see the "M" would have worked if you had the shutter set to perhaps 1/30 or for sure 1/15. Do the test mentioned above.
    No, the flash would have triggered about 20ms before the shutter was fully open. As suggested above, do the test. Routinely do it before any shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    No, the flash would have triggered about 20ms before the shutter was fully open. As suggested above, do the test. Routinely do it before any shoot.
    And I'll add to that, make it a routine regardless of what gear you are using. Want to trash a dozen sheets because that PC plug wasn't seated in the jack?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin