Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,595   Online: 1134

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanity Check

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sanity Check

The wife and I are downsizing and I doubt I'll be able to continue with LF(2, 4x5's and a 5X7) so I am seriously considering selling my all my LF gear and getting a Hasselblad and scanning the negatives. So am I nuts? either way I'll probably end up having to rent some shared artists space.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once it's gone, it's gone...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When you say downsizing, you just mean space, right? How much would moving from 4x5 to 120 save you in terms of size, if you're not going to print? The space it takes to develop 4x5 isn't so much bigger than that for 120, and a 4x5 field cam ain't so much bigger than a Hassie. Why don't you keep at least one of the 4x5, and a few of your best lenses for it?

Having moved from DSLR to MF to 4x5 (and now dabbling with 8x10), I think you'll really miss the size.

Not to take away from Hasselblad. I love my 203FE and 903SWC Sell one 4x5 and 5x7 and some lenses, and pick up a 501CM + 50/80/150 fo cheap, and you'll have best of both worlds, IMHO :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes space going from a 1900 sqft house plus darkroom in the 2 car garage down to about 900-1100 sqft 2 beroom max condo so space will be at a premium
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To be honest, you'll be pretty damn impressed with what you can accomplish with MF. I have gone up in down in size and find beauty in all of the formats. Look at it this way, good Hasselblad lenses on modern film can resolve about twice the LPMM as most LF lenses, so you don't really lose all that much in quality (oh no, can of worms!), but the real delight you'll have is seeing photography from a more mobile platform. You'll probably end up taking shots you normally wouldn't have done with the 4x5 setup. Just think of it as an opportunity to reinvent your photographic self!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's hard to get "large format" and "sanity" into the same thread. But all kidding aside, it doesn't seem like the difference between a compact LF system and a typical MF system is all that huge; my 5x7 setup fits in a backpack, soup to nuts except for the tripod, and it's about the bulkiest 5x7 you could ask for (Eastman 2-D).

Development and contact printing in a windowless bathroom is totally feasible, though if you want to keep it usable *as* a bathroom you'll need to do some careful planning. (I've lived in a couple of 2br apartments with two bathrooms, so it's at least conceivable that you could have some dedicated or semi-dedicated space.) I think in your situation I'd probably keep the 5x7 for contact prints, evaluate the eventual condo for its darkroom potential, and then decide whether it makes sense to expand into MF as well.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    I gave up on sanity years ago. It is much overrated.

Our apartment is 850 sq. ft. and I dabble in formats ranging from 10X14mm in a Minolta 16II to 4X5 in a old kit camera and a plywood 4X5 box camera. Between those two formats are 18X24mm, 24X36mm, 6X6 and 6X9.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless you do large prints, the only difference is perspective control. Go for a Hasselblad Arc or Flex Body and you've basically shrank your gear. I do hate losing gear due to space constraints though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi ron

sorry to hear of your troubles.
    you might consider just ditching the 4x5s first
    and stash the 5x7 and a few 4x5 + 5x7 holders and 4x5 reducing back
    in a box under the bed. who knows maybe you will find a way to keep the LF
    maybe rotary in the shared space ?

you'll probably enjoy the freedom of your MF but miss the tonality of LF ..
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-25-2013 at 11:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i'd keep one 4x5, at least.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin