Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,101   Online: 948

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Close up filters on LF lenses?

I noticed that B&H has sets of close up filters that will fir my 300mm, and i'm wondering if that would be good to use for portraiture... Might save on bellows factor? Or just give me a better working distance?

Anybody ever tried this before?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Or just give me a better working distance?
    The net effect of close-up lenses (diopters) is a shortening of focal length. I do not believe that will help you much with a LF camera, where obtaining close focus is usually not that much of an issue as long as the rails are long enough.

I also believe that a diopter will potentially cause field curvature and maybe other optical problems too. That may not be much of an issue if you frame a portrait in the centre of the image, but will be progressively more visible to the edges and corners. I have not tried diopters on LF before, but I have used Nikon's 5T and 6T on my 645 Mamiya system with 150, 210 and 300 mm lenses. These are high quality diopters, and the central image quality is very good, but the edges suffer even on a 6x4.5 frame, mostly due to field curvature. One has to stop well down to get acceptable overall sharpness. So my advice is to test with someone else's diopters first, before you invest money in an uncertain outcome.

As an aside: It might also give you a very interesting effect, perhaps similar to a Holga? Would love to see the results if and when you try. Recently I bought a jumble of photographic bits and pieces that was 80 % junk. I was after two bulk film loaders in the lot. One of the surprises in the box was an Arreiflex 95 mm filter/diopter. I have only one lens with a 95 mm thread, the Nikkor 50-300/4.5 ED, so I decided to put it on and see what transpires. It turns out to be a close-up diopter that reduces the min focus distance on that lens from a modest 2.2 m to more like 0.7 m. I did not notice any image quality deterioration up to about 200 mm focal length, but beyond that and especially at 300 mm it creates a strong halo towards the edges of the frame. The effect is removed by stopping down, and is no longer visible at f8, where the image quality is again top notch. Strange, and rather useful for tight portraits shooting wide open.
    Last edited by dorff; 02-27-2013 at 02:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I noticed that B&H has sets of close up filters that will fir my 300mm, and i'm wondering if that would be good to use for portraiture... Might save on bellows factor? Or just give me a better working distance?

Anybody ever tried this before?
    For example a +1 close up lens will be 1000mm focal length. Add that to 300mm you have (which is +3 diopter) and you get a +4 diopter lens. Focal length = 250mm. That may help you or may not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For example a +1 close up lens will be 1000mm focal length. Add that to 300mm you have (which is +3 diopter) and you get a +4 diopter lens. Focal length = 250mm. That may help you or may not.
    So, the net effect is that I could stack diopters to give myself a ghetto convertible lens?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin