Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,385   Online: 717

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jobo 2509 - Universally loathed or is it just me?

I picked up a Jobo 2509 spool and 2521 tank to begin processing my first 4x5 film. I've got plenty of 135 and 120 experience, and actually thought that this appeared to be easier.

I probably scratched up my first test images struggling with this stuff inside of my changing bag. I never did get more than one sheet of film loaded at a time. All it would take is the side of the changing bag brushing against the back of the film sheet and *poof* it's off-track. So a larger changing tent is in order (something I wanted anyway because it's even constraining for 120 work).

With a proper changing tent, am I still likely to loathe using this thing? I'm starting to look at things that will not endear me to my family, like trying to make our little bathroom light-tight so I can do tray processing on the floor or in the tub in there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The best thing is probably to practice with the reel out of the changing bag and some scrap sheets of film. You'll get the hang of guiding the sheets into the right slots by locating the slot openings with your fingertips. The film shouldn't pop out that easily - it has to withstand being pushed around by sloshing liquid in the tank, after all. A changing tent would probably be easier.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Get rid of the bag.

Since upgrading to a Harrison Jumbo, I haven't looked back.

I load/unload 35mm, 120, 4x5 (both Expert and 2509n) and 7x17" in it. I also have the Pup, but this isn't used much as the extra room of the Jumbo makes everything so easy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    With a proper changing tent, am I still likely to loathe using this thing?
    Have you seen: instructions_load_reels_4x5.htm - Without the 2508/2512, I too find loading the reels to be a pain. The loading jig makes life much easier, as does using a big tent. A tip when using a jumbo changing bag is to put a cardboard box (with one side cut out) inside to kep the cloth away from film & hands.

Evn with the loading jig, it can be irksome to fully load a reel, so for the odd sheet or two, I prefer a Paterson Orbital.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is the same for me. I tried and tried to load the 2509 in the darkroom (not in a tent or changing bag), after practicing many times in the clear. It has nothing to do with previous 20 years+ experience with 15xx loading 120 film in spiral holder. I reverted to do tray processing by hand...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Far from universally loathed. I find mine much easier to load than roll film, and orders of magnitude easier to load than SS reels which I never could get the hang of doing consistently. BUT, I have the loader base. Some say it's not necessary at all. Maybe not, but it sure makes it easy. I've played with loading without it and, while I think I could do it, it's just so much easier using it. If you can find one, and they're not that uncommon, it makes the job quite easy.

Disclaimer - I've never tried loading in a bag, tent etc. I always do it on a room table right in the darkroom, which I suspect makes the biggest difference of all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Have you seen: instructions_load_reels_4x5.htm - Without the 2508/2512, I too find loading the reels to be a pain. The loading jig makes life much easier, as does using a big tent. A tip when using a jumbo changing bag is to put a cardboard box (with one side cut out) inside to kep the cloth away from film & hands.

Evn with the loading jig, it can be irksome to fully load a reel, so for the odd sheet or two, I prefer a Paterson Orbital.
    I agree with using the base, I don't understand why "it can be irksome to fully load a reel." We must be doing it very differently. I find it silly simple, again far far easier than loading roll film where 120 wants to crimp and half moon if you're not careful and 35mm wants to bind before I get to the end of a 36x roll. Loading the 4x5 reels, each sheet is as easy as any other sheet.

There is a little trick to putting a bit of curve into the film as you slide it in, but while I think I could demonstrate this using a sheet of exposed film I don't think I could begin to describe it.

I have to agree with Roger C. I find the JOBO system very easy to load and don't think I have ever scratched a negative with it.

My students can almost always learn to load the reels within a half hour of being introduced to the system.

It really sounds like your changing bag is the problem.

JD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips, everyone. It gives me some direction to try so I can get better at this and finally enjoy success with sheet film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And yes, I've seen the Jobo instructions, but no, I don't have the base & extra accessories.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin