Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,406   Online: 1016

Shooter
    Medium Format

Schneider 165 Super Angulon Damaged Coating

Schneider Optics is cleaning and repairing a super angulon lens for me.

Apparently the lens coating has been damaged.
    It's not bad damage but is noticeable and is in one spot.
    Schneider is going to complete the cleaning and repair but will not
    be able to repair the coating.

So, can anyone tell me what affect this might have in an image and under what
    circumstances ?

Thanks,
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    depends on where the spot is and how big it is, but in general I wouldn't worry -- all lens coatings do is allow more light to be transmitted by cutting down surface reflection -- sounds as if you'll have one spot on the lens where not quite as much light will get through, but it won't be enough to impact exposure or image quality.

when the lens gets back, use it and don't sweat it. My brother once showed me "the sharpest lens I own," a nikon wide-angle of some sort which had a rear element with a huge gash through the middle.

It's the light that gets through, not the light that doesn't, that makes the image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My understanding is that in modern lens design, parallel light that enters the lens assembly will converge and diverge several times. If the damage is on the layer that rays converge, it will show on the final image. If the area is anywhere else, it can contribute to flair or loss of image quality such as sharpness to varying degrees. In other words, it depends on degree and the location of the fault. Since the lens is at the manufacturer for repair, why don't inquire the person who is working on your lens??
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did ask. But I thought that others here may have some insight or experience to share as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    dude, I'm telling you - don't sweat it. Pop on a lens shade (you use one anyway) and the lens will be fine, any missing coating, anywhere, will mean nothing.

Nothing.

How do I know? Look at this. Please. And be at peace:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...ment-scratches

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin