Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,886   Online: 1168

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Mr. Gales.
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    The original reference to China is an irrelevance. It is a generalisation. It is both presumptuous and inflammatory. It vilifies the Chinese.
    Could you tell me where this particular piece of equipment was made?

That makes it NOT a generalization, but a specific reference to a particular product. Perhaps being from Australia, English isn't your primary language?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The original reference
    Chinese aluminium & plastic crap vs Chicago mahogany craftsmanship... it's a no-brainer.
    generalises - saying it isn't so, doesn't stop it from being so!!

Perhaps being from Australia, English isn't your primary language?
    - how in any way is that relevant to anything at all? Do you suggest that a plausible argument can ONLY be made in English by a native speaker of the language? That's really odd.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Historically, Chinese made machines and machinist work have had the reputation of being sub par compared to an American equivalent of a similar era. While to some extent this continues to this day, some Chinese companies have made a concerted effort to change the reputation, so while some products are made well, like the Toyo or Shen-Hao, some other products may be shoddy or sloppily done. I have a DaYi 6x12 back and the build quality is impressive.

Now stop being so butthurt and insisting on going out of your way to derail the topic, please. I have a Sri Lankan friend who could make many inflammatory comments on the racist or otherwise racially oriented treatment he has received in Australia when he used to travel on business before he got a US Passport. Nobody is perfect.

Personally I would go with the Deardorff. The way it encloses really appeals to me, and I like the look of the wood. While it says "wilderness" on it, the fact that it comes in a large aluminum case makes me wonder who lugs it more than a few dozen feet from the car.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nobody is perfect.
    On that we can all agree

I'd pick the Deardorff too - a proven design and a beautiful camera.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin