Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,861   Posts: 1,583,172   Online: 733

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What 4x5 lens?

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    But, when I think "landscape" I tend to envision images with 1m to infinity in the frame, so it's not so much "how much width you can fit in a frame" but more like "how much DoF you can squeeze in a frame" that I go after; hence, the wider lenses.
    This is rendered somewhat moot when you consider LF (and ULF) landscape is often shot at small apertures with movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer a lens that is wider than normal for 4X5. I chose 135mm Fuji and have not regretted it, it serves most of my purposes. My next lens was 240mm G-Claron and that too was a wonderful choice for a long(ish) lens. My Tachahara will not support anything over 300mm so I'm about maxed out in that direction. I would like a 90 as a wide angle lens but my experiences with Landscape photography does not suggest I have really missed anything.

To go wider than 90mm may entail recessed boards which present issues with cable releases, setting shutter and speed controls.

I wasted time and money with a cluncker camera thinking I could learn some basics to decide if a "real" camera was going to work. The learning curve of a properly working camera is much quicker than trying to work around mechanical problems, and if you are interested in getting your feet wet with 4x5 you will be hooked and might as well not to have upgrade in the first year. Toyo makes good cameras,

Good luck, and welcome to APUG; there are a lot of people here willing to share their experiences.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    I chose 135mm Fuji and have not regretted it, it serves most of my purposes.
    I too have a Fujinon 135mm (the older model with lettering on the "inside") - Cracking little lens, lightweight, and oodles of coverage which copes with most things. The other two lenses I usually travel with is a 180mm and a 300mm (and occasionally a 90mm). Sometimes it is a toss up between the 180mm and the 135mm, with the latter usually winning out as it usually travels (reverse) mounted on the camera.

It might be worth hooking up with a local LF user and trying a few lenses before dropping another wad of cash - If you were close by, I'd have said pop in for a coffee & natter.

P.S. I'd suggest avoiding the Xenar lenses - Whilst often found cheap, I've never been impressed by the coverage and nearly always hit the limits on the ones I've tried.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    An interesting discussion, especially what people think of as a landscape lens. I'm from the school that thinks any lens is a landscape lens, not just a wide lens that gets as much in the shot as is possible.
    Indeed. I find that 80, 110, 150, 210, 300, 360, and 500 make great landscape lenses on my 4x5, I just hope I have the strength to hike with them for many years to come. If I had to select, I'd choose differently for each trip, but the 150 would always be there, so universal. And maybe 110, just ideal. And maybe 360. Then the 500 is easy to add anyway, and compresses perspective well. Hmm, 300 is lighter. But the 210 gave me good pictures. And what if I need that wide-angle close-up the 80 is good at? Does it get worse when I grow up?
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Does it get worse when I grow up?
    Grow up?

I'm 56 and that's not on the timeline yet.

To the OP, I love my Fuji 150 6.3, been shooting with it for 30 years. Just got a Fuji 135 5.6 and it's OK but I'll need to get a little more comfortable with it.
    I would recommend a 135 to 150 lens paired with a 210 to 240 and get use to those lens. Buy quality.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Yes, Ian you are correct. A lot does depend on what/where you are shooting. It also depends upon your vision as a photographer.

I actually prefer long lenses for landscape over wides. I use wides for getting in close. Maybe I'm weird!

I feel normal lenses make great first lenses because they are easier to use and have more coverage for learning camera movements.
    I think you're normal - just I use wide angles to get in closer as well, or more often when I can't move further back, sometimes I just can't get the shot I require unless I use a 90mm and on very rare occasions my 65mm.

Strangely I had my 210mm Symmar for some time (3 or 4 years) before I really started to use it and I've used my 300mm twice in over 20 years (but I can use it on my 10x8 cameras as well). I guess I needed to learn to see with the 210 and had just become too used to shooting with a 150mm or wider. I tend to shoot subconsciously, by that I mean I instinctively position the tripod (unless working hand-held) and know what lens to use having already decided on the framing of the image.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    if you can't decide between 2 focal lengths, you might consider
    getting a convertible lens so you have 2 focal lengths instead of 1.
    i believe there is a schneider symmar convertible that is both 150 and 210
    it is the age-old plasmat design ( like a g claron ), so both focal lengths are quite sharp stopped down.
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-13-2013 at 09:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would choose a 210mm unless I needed something wider. However, I don't shoot many landscapes with 4x5.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In 35mm format, I was shooting 99% of my landscape pictures with 50mm lens. After switching to 4x5, I use 180mm for it. Many people here suggest 150mm, but I found it a little bit too wide in most of situations. It's up to your personal feeling. Also the coverage should be considered and usually 180's have it bigger.
    Gracjan Ziółek, gracjan.art.pl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My kit contains 65, 90, 135, 150, 180, 240 & 350 lenses. That being said, my favorite is the tiny and outrageously sharp 135mm 5.6 Apo-Sironar, wow, what a lens with nice coverage!

The 90 6.8 is fab as a wide and sees a lot more use than my rarely used but still useful 65 Grandagon. The 150, 180 and 350 Schnieder Apo's all use 58mm filters so that is nice.

And then of course is the fantastic little Fuji 240 F/9 A.

I find that unlike 35mm or even 120, I need more lenses in the field with the 4x5 because it is 100% tripod mounted, so I usually opt for all of them on road trips and 5 of them when hiking.

But seriously, pick up a clean used 135 Apo-Sironar and you are set, brilliant lens!
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin