Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,358   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Aaagh ... what is this world coming to! One more silly battery-dependent gadget tote around. Leave
    the damn toy at home and use your eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, Drew, this means everyone can use some dimestore - oops dollar store - specs instead of a decent loupe and a black teeshirt as a darkcloth. No more need to carefully inspect the image on the GG, your Ithingy will set up the camera for you.

ROTFLMAO!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The one gadget I am seriously interested in patenting is the helium-inflated bellows. I figure it will lighten the load of the backpack by several pounds. Of course, the attached helium tank and valve needed to refill it after you use the camera will add about a eighty more pounds than you take away,
    but that's the kind of thing one puts in very small print on the backside of the marketing brochure, if
    at all. The inflation gage would have to have a digital readout, however, remotely programmed to an
    I-phone across the meadow, of course - otherwise it wouldn't be cool enough to sell. Heck, pretty soon
    even that crazy porcine dictator in N Korea will just have to own one of these!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think there's more of a marketing future in brain supplements (to reverse the atrophy) for those who let the I-thingies do all their thinking. Just you wait, Alzheimer's will be rampant among these types.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sinar relatively long-ago patented their little groundglass-marky yaw-free Scnoodleplug system, which was in fact convenient for certain types of studio tabletop applications. I forgot how to use it equally as
    fast, since in the field there are soooo many subjective variables to the whole game, and the choice
    as how exactly to best employ tilts and swings is really a case-by-case esthetic decision, one which
    involves the overall look on the groundglass itself. I'd get totally confused if the image was even
    right side up! (not really). Then at another point Sinar made a totally servo-controlled adjustment system so you could send a view camera into the hot zone of a nuke facility or whatever and control it
    via external computer tether (prior to I-phones!). It was a commercial bellyflop. Not everyone feels deprived if they don't have the ability to launch an ICBM from a pad next to their backyard BBQ
    while simultaneously doing stock trades from the same handheld device. Maybe time to get a life.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I do wonder why I post here sometimes, thirty two years staring into the ground glass. To have aback light screen for a formula with a screen you can enlarge to view, save having to wear glasses, or maybe even carry a torch. Maybe to some people need to think before they express a view towards a person. maybe you need a soap box on a corner guys.
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by largeformat pat View Post
    I do wonder why I post here sometimes, thirty two years staring into the ground glass. To have aback light screen for a formula with a screen you can enlarge to view, save having to wear glasses, or maybe even carry a torch. Maybe to some people need to think before they express a view towards a person. maybe you need a soap box on a corner guys.

You do have a valid point.

What formula, exactly? Scheimpflug is theory with interconnected, often oppositional elements that cannot be understood without practising visually. A formula, if there is one, will not provide you with the means to make a better photograph, but quite possibly one that you are not happy with.

Thirty-two years staring at ground glass will have told you how important it is to ignore distractions and concentrate on the correct and valid alignment to produce the image you wish to. I would not give a piss about formulae or theorums when concentrating on the scene before me. Why would you want to do it?

What others have added is their prerogative; what I had said and explained was proferred in the hope of understanding what you are trying to do, and why. That has not been advanced, and those here that are genuinely interested...we are none the wiser.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've spent a fair amount of my life helping people find simple solutions to complex problems, and I've
    worked with engineers at times to get these kinds of things to market. On the other hand, there is a
    class of engineers out there where seem to make job security synonymous with constanting coming up
    with something redundant. This is what the very survival of the consumer electronics industry depends
    on - one new gadget making the last one obsolete or fuddy-duddy as fast as possible. Now I'm not suggesting that Schnoodlephlug is a hot enough topic to engender this kind of attention. And if one has
    a legitimate need for something like this, fine. But the way it's been phrased, it just sounds like someone new to the concept, and in this respect, ten seconds actually looking into a groundglass is a
    heck of a lot more efficient that fooling around with some gadget and still having the check the glass
    afterwards anyway. But some people are just addicted to gadgets. I'd prefer to save the money for film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    ... sorry for all the typos.... my fingers are a little buzzed at the moment from just testing a particular
    gadet than wasn't as smoothly geared or balanced as it should be!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Okay, ding ding, my turn...

I love analog and shoot LF as my hobby. On the week days I help people find solutions to problems requiring high-speed dig&#^l cameras. This week I had a situation where I needed x2 TSE lenses but unfortunately Nikon have removed the aperture lever fom their latest model macro, meaning we can't stop down with our camera mount. We've gone for the Schneider option, but I had to do a myriad of calculations to see if at the swing we required and the min focus distance, I'd get enough DOF. I needed some calculations to pre-visualize. Can't do that on a ground glass.

Point is, think outside the box. An iPhone app could have saved me literally an hour or more of time.
    My eyes aren't great either so with macro on LF, I'd love an app. Technical photography is part visual with a whole lot of mathematics...take a peek at the ground glass, but also take out the calculator guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin