Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,016   Online: 676

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Scheimpflug calculator for iPhone

Hey all,
    I was wondering if any body has come across or is working on an app for the iPhone/iPad which will help with Scheimpflug calculations? I have the Rodenstock wheel and would like something electronic, save having to use a torch and such. Anyone know?
    Thanks
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does it need to be iOS or is droid acceptable?

Reason I ask is that I refuse to pay the Apple tax ($100/year to play, even if you don't want to sell apps) though I have an iPhone. Seriously considering getting a Nexus, for which I could freely write code such as this.

Shooter
    35mm

Re: Scheimpflug calculator for iPhone

I have one I wrote awhile ago for android and wm6,just didn't think there was any interest to put it online.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Scheimpflug calculator for iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by largeformat pat View Post
    Hey all,
    I was wondering if any body has come across or is working on an app for the iPhone/iPad which will help with Scheimpflug calculations? I have the Rodenstock wheel and would like something electronic, save having to use a torch and such. Anyone know?
    Thanks
    Look for "Tilt Lens" on the iPhone App Store.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by largeformat pat View Post
    Hey all,
    Thanks
    How/why would you use this app??

Sorry, but the wheel works for me quite well, and given where the world is going with iOsDroider, I think I'm going to keep the old way wherever I can (and there are fewer and fewer choices to do so). But then again, I won't use it, but someone else might.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Soon, you wont even have to look at the ground glass screen, but just use the app.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Study the theory, and in practice, determine all angles with cues gathered visually, as intended in large format. Using a calculator is certainly not necessary.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Study the theory, and in practice, determine all angles with cues gathered visually, as intended in large format. Using a calculator is certainly not necessary.
    Correct. What are you going to do, measure the angles of everything in your scene, then input these values to the I-thingy? Ludicrous.
    Use the groundglass, it's what it's there for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The calculator on iPhones and additional scientific calculator apps can be useful in the conversion of measurements where intersectors and planes are difficult to determine at close distances with very small movements e.g. in a macro shot in a 35mm set up yielding an image of acceptable overall sharpness (not just the peg of extended focus at a fixed aperture), it might be more convenient to then work the formula sine angle of tilt/swing = f/length / distance; if I am using my Canon TS-E 24mm (which I have used and taught for 24 years) and focused on a plane at e.g. 17.5cm from the principal point of the lens, it would be: sine angle of tilt/swing = (f)24/175. Then, a calculator conversion from sine to degrees provides the answer to this input of — the amount of tilt/swing I would be applying for the established angle of the picture. I use a standard Android sci-calc for this; no sweat, no fuss, no confudlements, just cheer.

This calculation is only a good idea at close-ups/macro — it is of no critical consequence in absence in landscape where visual assessment is the most common (and least fiddly) method of establishing the principal planes, hinge line, depth of field, range of acceptable focus and extended focus peg for the given aperature; I imagine in the example I have given that the tilt/swing would effectively be far too great for large format — maybe 35° at an upscaled theoretical comparison to the larger [4x5] format (from 35mm); only very, very small movements of 35mm T/S lenses are required to effect quite large changes and characteristics as opposed to much larger movements in LF.

Unfortunately, while many people with LF aspire to coming to grips with Scheimpflug, in reality it is a very complex, technical and mysterious area of positional theory, not made any more easier by the very deep discourse of Harold Merklinger (albeit with excellent diagrams that clearly reflect what is being explained). So... visual approximation is and will remain the best method of setting measurements/movements — and you should be taking as long as you want until you are happy, the alternative being hopelessly bogged down in calculus and not getting any photography done!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin