Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,974   Online: 740

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mod54?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Mod54?

Has anyone used one of these?

Opinions?

I heard that the sheets slip a little bit, but with side to side agitation, would it still be an issue?

I want to get one for stand dev and color processing.

Thanks
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Mod54?

Me too, good luck finding one at B&H... They've been "available soon" for months...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can buy them directly from the manufacturer.

I have one and have had mixed results. The first consideration is keeping the film in the slots. With inversion agitation one out of six seemed doomed to move, although not always causing damage. 'Gentle' agitation is easy in theory, but 1 litre of liquid still has a lot of force in it as it drains from one end of the tank to the other, and some film bases are more flexible than others. And swirl agitation suits some developers more than others, but I found this was perhaps the best way.

But the main problem I had was with choosing a developer. Some like HC110 seem to work very well, but when I get the Pyro out for doing my favourite semi stand development I got 'hot spots' forming (seen as stripes of increased density) on the negs where the negatives are nearest the ribs of the MOD54 insert. Leaving the inner slots empty is an option.

I am sure the MOD54 can work very well indeed, but it doesn't work perfectly for me, which is a shame since it is a great idea.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    bought one ages ago, even the super gentle slow inversion in the demonstration video causes sheets to slip back notches on one or both sides, some films are worse for this than others. In reality it is a 2 sheet holder, not a 6 sheet, do not load 6 sheets. And load them on the inner most sections so they dont slip off the reel altogether and scratch.

That still happens with gentle side to side twist agitation too, or at least when you drain the tank. Gentle twist agitation works fine for C-41 I've found.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have put a few loads through mine and had no issues thus far.

I use DD-X 1:4, I don't think my agitation is particularly special, standard inversions for 10 seconds once a minute.

I even loaded sheets of film wrong and they still came out fine...

I guess it is a classic case of YMMV...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't have uneven development issues, but I did find the little fingers holding the sheets intermittently left tiny scratches on the base side of the sheet. I don't really see a way around that because in order to hold the sheets firmly enough the "fingers" have to extend into the image area. I tried fixing that but it always resulted in the sheets coming loose. Fun experiment though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have mixed results. After learning to invert gently I don't have a problem with sheets jumping out, but I still can't seem to get rid of uneven development with xtol.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ilford Photo/Harman have taken over production of these devices and when I spoke to a rep this past weekend I was told they will hit stores in 30-60 days. The new version will be injection molded plastic and will come in sections for easy cleaning.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh very nice! I signed up to receive a notice from B&H when they come in.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey Guys,

I've ironed out quite a few of the problems with the new version, better development and much smoother fingers.

Here's a little teaser on the new version.

you can pre order one on my site. http://www.mod54.com/buy.php

Cheers,

Morgan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin