Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,690   Online: 777

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham1952 View Post
    Thanks guys for all your answers the best thing i can do now is get out there and do some shooting and stop worrying about the kit.

Thanks
    Graham.
    Exactly!

The only way you are going to know what focal lengths you like in 4x5 is by experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Exactly!

The only way you are going to know what focal lengths you like in 4x5 is by experience.
    Or, install the app "Viewfinder Pro" on your phone and look through different lenses from about 120mm and longer...110 is still fairly wide and that XL is very expensive first lens...:-O

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    What has the price of the lens got to do with this?

Very strange comment...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That XL lens is great.
    My budget wasn't as high, so I settled for the lower cost 90/f8, rather than the XL 5.6 lens.

Now that you have the lens...go out and shoot.
    As others said, shooting is the only way to determine if you need another lens and which lens you might need.
    After shooting, you might find out that, as you said, that might be the only lens you need.

Do you have the rest of the kit?
    focusing loupe, backs (lots of backs), good tripod, etc.
    It took me a LONG time to gradually collect most of the parts of my kit. And I'm still gathering parts; compendium/lens hood, filters, etc.

gud shooting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    What has the price of the lens got to do with this?

Very strange comment...
    Not really, he appears to be a beginner at LF, if he paid more than usual for the lens, decides LF is not for him and sells it, that is a lot of money to get back if he paid above average.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Not really, he appears to be a beginner at LF, if he paid more than usual for the lens, decides LF is not for him and sells it, that is a lot of money to get back if he paid above average.
    Ah, You're the Pricing Police. Forgot that we get to tell people how much they should spend on equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Ah, You're the Pricing Police. Forgot that we get to tell people how much they should spend on equipment.
    I had my suspicions, so I looked back into your posts...yep, just what I thought.

You seem keen to get others to spit the dummy mate, looking for a barney most likely...

No thanks, hooroo!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I brought up the question of price as well, thinking the lens may simply be overkill if all that coverage wasn't going to get used. But the OP has bought it now, and I doubt he would loose a lot of money as it is a very desirable lens. But it is irresponsible not to mention money when a self confessed beginner in large format is enquiring. Clearly the OP knows what he likes in other formats, but just piling in and suggesting expensive options would just be elitist, especially as there aren't an awful lot of bad LF lenses out there, the more expensive options often just do a bit more than others in ways unrelated to outright resolution and application.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin