Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,967   Online: 1194

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

setting up a camera bag

hello,

when you are putting your older large format lenses in the camera bag, and there are no lens caps for them, would you rather:

A. make a mat board sleeve for them to give them a hard sided case to then fit into padded dividers,

or

B. Just drop them into the padded dividers because the dividers are soft and won't damage the lens

I am leaning toward making mat board sleeves, but I don't want to put excessive wear on the lenses or even damage them any worse than just padding would. I am particularly worried about the rear elements because they are not recessed anywhere near as much as the front elements are. Also, the mat board option seems like it would generate more dust?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use padded dividers, also the right size caps -- took some hunting, not too much -- for the rear elements on the lenses. I think the mat board would make for more dust, as you suggested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    camera wraps work well eric
    also those beer buddies, you know the foamy things to keep your beer from
    making yourhands too cold ...
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The disposible food containers made by Glad and the others work well.
    On most of the square ones, the sides are tapered, depending on the size of your board it will (may) suspend the lens above the bottom.
    The round ones work nicely for non-mounted lenses. Plus, they are light weight, and cheap.

Grocery stores are also a good source for slip-on caps, just find one that fits, and buy the can of whatever it's on, leave it in the food pantry collection box if it's not on your "food" list. (though probably not rear caps for most LF lenses)

Shooter
    35mm
    I would much rather source some proper lens caps that fit rather than make something from board as these will likely rub and generate dust and grit to scratch the front and rear elements. Front and rear caps are easily available and relatively cheap for a multitude of fitting sizes so why potentially ruin an expensive lens for little saving.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use Foam Wrap , 1/8 inch thick, example: http://www.amazon.com/Foam-Wrap-feet.../dp/B005K0A9WY to wrap my LF lens in. I keep them folded, lens side in, in the camera case when the lens is in use. I also take care to keep the wrap clean when changing lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    I grab any older and well-worn wash cloths and those smaller hand towels that are around the house. Nice and soft, largely lint free, and when they get a little dusty, toss 'em in the wash. Also, really handy to have for a quick wipe down after a little rain shower, or for perspiration, or whatever. My bag's got two or three of them in it all the time.
    If one gets a hole or a tear, I then put it in the garage to use there, because they shed threads like crazy.
    Last edited by hdeyong; 03-24-2013 at 12:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correcion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    camera wraps work well eric
    also those beer buddies, you know the foamy things to keep your beer from
    making yourhands too cold ...
    They're called "stubbie coolers", John. At least that's what they're called here in Australia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The plastic end caps from cardboard postal tubes work well. They don't need to fit perfectly, but one on the front, one on the back, and a rubber band over the top to stop them falling off. That's if Ebay doesn't offer anything better up.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    They're called "stubbie coolers", John. At least that's what they're called here in Australia.
    that is good to know ! cause ... they fit perfectly on a 15" teleoptar !
    ask me how ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin