Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,090   Online: 997

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh crap. I feel your pain, Scott. I once had something fall onto a tripod-mounted rosewood 4x5 and knock it over backwards. Hard. On asphalt. I watched it crash in that moment of helplessness. Too far away to do anything. Like when you helplessly watch yourself locking your car keys inside, but there's not enough time for the STOP message to make it from your eyes to your brain to your hands. I was crushed. So was the camera.

Fortunately the three breaks/cracks were so well defined that I was able to use Gorilla Glue and wood clamps to put it back together perfectly. I still have it and use it. You can't even tell it's been in a severe rear-end collision.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just gathered the equipment to start my journey into LF. I can only imagine what you went through, I feel for you. I'm also the kind of person who takes chances when comes to picture taking. Most of times I lose myself in what I'm doing and get clumsy. I'm glad your equipment can still be fixed and you are safe. Thanks for sharing your story
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sherlock Holmes came back to life after going over the falls.
    I hope your equipment comes back as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to hear you are ok, and the camera is mostly ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    god please let there be photos of the carnage

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I did not document it. I haven't even taken the carcass out of the trunk of the car yet. I need to mourn before I can consent to the autopsy.

Images
    I would get it out of the trunk now to let it all dry properly.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Yeah, get the bellows dried out before mold sets in, and hope the wet wood doesn't warp.

What a shame. Cameras that have lived that long deserve to be resurrected, though. Best of luck with the repairs!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Having spent several decades in the mtns with a view camera, it was inevitable that a few didn't survive or simply wore out. When I traveling into esp rainy areas like the Pacific NW, I pack a mini
    dessication chamber - a tight Tupperware box & some tape, with fresh silica gel inside, just in case I
    need to emergency-dessicate a lens. It works. Last summer a buddy of mine got a little too carried away photographing up a creek at twilight. We were an entire weeks walk from any road, and way off
    trail too. He slipped and sent a couple of very expensive Zeiss lenses into the drink, and busted two legs on his Gitzo CF tripod. None of us had a pr of pliers, so we managed to get his filter threads workable denting them back in position using a soft stick and a rock mallet. One lens cleared enough
    by being put in the sun all day, but then the rain came in again, and the humidity fogged it up. It finally
    cleared after the trip using my dessication box method. The tripod got two pine sticks duct taped to it.
    And the poor photographer himself had to limp out with an injured heel and a 75lb pack over 12000 ft
    passes. Life in the fast lane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Large Format Horror Story

I haven't had to try it, but I've been told that minute rice is a good emergency desiccant.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin