Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,463   Online: 830

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Large Format Horror Story

Over the weekend, I went out to Kilgore Falls (a nice size waterfall northwest of Belair, Maryland) with a camera club. I brought my Seneca "black beauty" whole plate, three film holders, my Turner-Reich 12-19-25 triple convertible, and my Induro CF 314 tripod. I had ascended to the top of the falls and was taking some shots there. I had finished my fourth exposure and decided I wanted to climb back down to try and cross the stream for another view, and started to unlimber everything. I removed my bag from the hook on the center column so I could organize my lenses, holders, meter, etc. In doing so, I must have brushed against the tripod and unbalanced it. It pitched head-first over the rock, bounced into the stream at the top of the falls, the lens board separated from the camera and deposited the lens in the water, and the camera and tripod proceeded to sweep over the top of the falls and plunge a further 40 feet down into the pool at the base of the falls. One of my club-mates happened to be wearing chest-waders and was able to wade out to where the camera and tripod were floating, and retrieve it. I went in the water at the top of the falls and retrieved the lens.

The shutter on the lens is mostly operational, but will still need to be serviced as it has a bit of a catch when cocking it. The barrel of the front element of the lens has a nasty ding in the filter ring, but otherwise appears ok. No scratches to the glass, no cracks, and the filter ring gouge appears to be A: repairable (it's a brass barrel, so the metal is soft enough to be re-shaped) and B: even if I can't/don't repair it, it will not impair the function, only the aesthetics. The camera body, although not unscathed, is pre-eminently re-buildable. The worst of it is some of the nickel-plated hardware that holds the rear standard to the bed got bent and a couple of screws tore out of the wood. There's a couple of chunks of wood that came out of the bed, but nothing that will prevent the camera from functioning. The rear extension rail took the worst of the beating, and now has the ability to become a parallelogram instead of a rectangle, but it is for all intents and purposes still complete. Of course the ground glass broke, but that's the least of my worries. The biggest deal was the bellows did NOT tear or become detached. The tripod came through unscathed, and it actually floated (although I think the bellows on the camera body helped with that).

I'll be sending the camera off to Richard Ritter some time this summer to be remade. I think it will be apropos to ask him to make a little plaque to affix somewhere on the camera with "Steve Austin" engraved on it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Your camera is living up to your alias...

That is what I would put on the plaque.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh man, what a horror story!

Something similar happened to me years ago: A Canon F1 new with a 560mm telephoto lens mounted on a tripod fell into the water while shooting geese! I stumbled over one of the tripod legs!
    Camera and lens had to be serviced and were fully functional again!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was NOT the story I wanted to start my day with, but I'm happy that it didn't have an entirely tragic ending. I'm always afraid of knocking my gear into the pit/water/traffic/whatever, because I'm such a klutz. Happily, I haven't as yet done so. Sorry that you had to go through it. I can only imagine the feeling as you realized the whole kit was beyond your reach.

When I get an old lens, I often try to imagine just what put that dent in the ring, or that knick in the glass. You've just set down the story for yours, "Well, I was climbing this waterfall..." Should get you a free beer occasionally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The horror! The horror!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've had two cameras bounce but not into water. On one - a 4X5, the quick release was not seated properly. The other - an 8X10 - was due to my carelessness when removing a lens/lensboard. As I get older & more prone to accidents, I'm also slowing down my actions with the camera(s). Hopefully, it will also lead to better composed images ;-)
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sorry to hear of your troubles scott.
    good read things are fix-able, and YOU weren't hurt too ...
    its easy to fix a camera ( or get a new one ) a person going over falls
    and landing on jagged rocks, not so easy to fix ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't know how expensive the repair might be, but I'd be willing to donate to its repair cost if ya need it. You've helped a lot of folks out here.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry Mr Flying Camera (ironic).
    My only war stories are: Speed Graphic being hit by basketball, back when I was in h.s. trying to shoot some sports with it (it got bent and ended up on the court causing a time-out).
    Again pegged by a basketball bleeding on court with N8008 smashed into my face.
    Last my worst... I left my Canon A-1 and tele lens on roof of car, and watching it slide off the Buick in my rear-view mirror. Road rash in the worst degree.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Scott--glad to hear everything is mostly intact. Good thing it wasn't the Canhams. It says something about the landscape of Maryland, when our waterfalls can't even dash a camera to bits.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin