Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,774   Online: 1005

Thread: 5x5" fresnel?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

5x5" fresnel?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a fresnel for my super D, mainly to help "snap" the focus as my eyesight isn't the greatest.
    Would a cheap book reading fresnel give this effect when placed on the GG?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just cut down a full page magnifier from Staples to use on my Reflex-Primar 9x12 SLR. It brightens up the screen, but it's a little coarse. It's an improvement, but it doesn't "snap" the focus. It would be nice to find something finer, but for $7--it's an inexpensive upgrade. I used a fine-toothed Exacto saw to cut 1/2 way through the fresnel and then snapped the cuts over a table edge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used an inexpensve $9.95 book reading fresnel placed over the rear GG of an 8x10 with good results. It may not be the perfect solution, but for a quick compositional check it works quite well. And if I should drop it over the cliff, no great loss.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Fresnels are for eliminating hot spots from bright objects and opening up the shadows as viewed on the ground glass which may or may not improve focusing and with a loupe makes it more difficult.

A fresnel placed between the lens and ground glass will cause the focus to shift so that the sandwich has to be repositioned to match the film plane focus.

A fresnel placed over the viewing side ground glass will make the shadow detail easier to see while eliminating the hot spots to a degree. It may make the overall brightness higher.

I have successfully used a office supply store fresnel on 4x5 cameras. A fine tooth saw or plexiglass scoring tool can be used to cut the fresnel. When scoring score from the smooth side and score half way through before trying to snap it.

A pair of 2 to 4 power reading glasses may do more to make focusing easier than a fresnel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Fresnels are for eliminating hot spots from bright objects and opening up the shadows as viewed on the ground glass which may or may not improve focusing and with a loupe makes it more difficult.

A fresnel placed between the lens and ground glass will cause the focus to shift so that the sandwich has to be repositioned to match the film plane focus.

A fresnel placed over the viewing side ground glass will make the shadow detail easier to see while eliminating the hot spots to a degree. It may make the overall brightness higher.

I have successfully used a office supply store fresnel on 4x5 cameras. A fine tooth saw or plexiglass scoring tool can be used to cut the fresnel. When scoring score from the smooth side and score half way through before trying to snap it.

A pair of 2 to 4 power reading glasses may do more to make focusing easier than a fresnel.
    I agree. I put a cheap fresnel ofer the ground glass of my 2¼ x 3¼ RB Graflex, and that diminished the hot spot. What really made it easier to focus was the fresnel used in combination with a 2x pair of cheap reading glasses.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try this place: 3dlens.com/. I've ordered from them before and their quality is good. They seem to have cut back on their offerings, but something like this might do the trick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin