Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,950   Online: 1081

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you also need to buy viewfinders?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    Do you also need to buy viewfinders?
    It comes with a wire frame sports finder. You can use that. If you want an optical finder, this guy on eBay has homemade finders in several focal lengths:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/boriska_gr/m...p2047675.l2562

Most buyers seem happy, a few complain, but he says up front that his $21 plus $11 shipping finders won't match a $200 Voigtlander, nor should the be expected to. They are proportioned for 35mm so won't exactly match the shape of 4x5, and so none of the ones available will match both vertical and horizontal dimensions. Here's a post on LFPF giving the coverage of the 90mm lens on 4x5 and the similar focal lengths for 35mm for comparison:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1013317

A 90mm lens for 96x120mm film (4x5 in most holders, some vary by a wee bit) has the following angles of view in degrees: horizontal: 67, vertical: 56, diagonal: 81
    A 21mm lens for 24x36mm film has the following angles of view in degrees: horizontal: 81, vertical: 59, diagonal: 91
    A 28mm lens for 24x36 gets you, in degrees: h: 65, v: 46, d: 75

Some are opting for 21mm for the closer match to vertically. I felt like that will show more in the viewfinder than I'll get on film horizontally and I'd rather have it show less since I can crop in printing if there's stuff I don't want on the film, so I opted for the 28mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    For a cheap camera, this is turning out a bit expensive so far...
    $189 - Travelwide 60 & 90
    $60 - shipping
    €202 - 65/8 SA
    €161 - 90/8 SA
    €45 - shipping
    $15 - 5x film backs
    $35 - shipping

That's $800 so far, plus I need film, a light meter, and probably a MOD54 to develop stuff (I was already going to buy a Paterson 2-reel tank, now i'll get a 3-reel to fit the mod54 in).
    (I'm not counting the $250 i also just spent on getting scanning fluid to Aus, nor the betterscanning mount or the v750 I already bought last year)

Still, for less than $1000 that's a damn nice setup, and would probably take a lot nicer images than $4000 worth of digital...
    Of course there's nothing to be done about shipping when it's international and long distance.

I suspect many of us who are buying these already shoot 4x5 (or 5x4 if you prefer...) and so already have most of the items. I already have the lens, the film holders, 4x5 film in the fridge, light meters, both a Luna Pro SBC (which I'll use with this) and a spot meter, a Jobo set up for 4x5 etc. I will add a cheap Russian Blik rangerfinder for this camera too.

There's no getting around some of this stuff if you want to get into 4x5 but if that is your only object something like a Graphic camera or something like my old Tech III (which are bargains when they come up) might be a better, more versatile investment. This is for small and light easily carried and quickly used handheld 4x5. A Graphic or technical camera with rangerfinder can be used handheld but is far larger and heavier (though a lot more versatile) than the Wanderlust and depending on your strength and determination maybe not all that practical handheld, and certainly not unobtrusive or anything you'll just sling in a shoulder bag when off to do something else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie
    $15 - 5x film backs
    gosh i wish I could find 5 backs for $15 (about £12) in the UK ! (for my Zero45) ...

I've dealt with Wanderlust on one of their previous projects, by the way, and I've no doubt they'll deliver; However, just because they have the money now, don't hold your breath waiting for the camera to arrive: there's plenty of work to do yet and it would not surprise me if final manufacture doesn't get going for another 8 or 9 months.

I wish I had seen this a bit earlier and been able to get on the bandwagon sooner, despite the hassle of tracking down an affordable lens

Shooter
    35mm
    I was fortunate with 4X5 film holders, 6 holders at a garage sale for $5, that in fact was what got me into LF. I have a home made plywood camera that sports a 130mm f7.7 Kodak lens from about 1930. The lens was free. For testing, alignment and initial workout I use paper negatives, I'll buy some film later. So I haven't spent much yet, just the $99 pledge and about $30 for plywood and glue. The lens, well that is going to take a bit more. I'm looking for the regular Schneider Angulon 90 f6.8 and have set aside $200 for that. I figure the camera won't be here for 8 months so I plan to shop carefully.

Did I mention I'm cheap?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    gosh i wish I could find 5 backs for $15 (about £12) in the UK ! (for my Zero45) ...

I've dealt with Wanderlust on one of their previous projects, by the way, and I've no doubt they'll deliver; However, just because they have the money now, don't hold your breath waiting for the camera to arrive: there's plenty of work to do yet and it would not surprise me if final manufacture doesn't get going for another 8 or 9 months.

I wish I had seen this a bit earlier and been able to get on the bandwagon sooner, despite the hassle of tracking down an affordable lens
    Wanderlust estimates delivery for Dec 2013, so if it's 8-9 months it will be on schedule. And if it takes a bit longer to iron out the kinks, I'm OK with that (as long as we're not left in the dark as to what's happening).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. Over $115,000 raised with 63 hours left to go. Get 'em while they're hot!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually, this comes with a pinhole, so if you have one holder (they typically go for $7 used), sunny 16, and some paper or film, you can shoot from day one....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sounds like a good idea. I'd love a 90mm 4x5 point and shoot, but I'm going to wait to buy one till I see they are actually making a physical product and are actually being shipped and received.

In the meantime I'm VERY happy with my Speed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    ... I'm going to wait to buy one till I see they are actually making a physical product and are actually being shipped and received...
    That would be your only option at this point, since the Kickstarter campaign is over.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin