Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,560   Online: 987

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Melburnians hoarding 90mm Angulons! I have one Linhof model previously mounted on a Galvin View - I just knew it'd come in handy...!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Marc, I have a Linhof one mounted on a recessed mount, very tempting to pick one of these cameras up, but I now have so many 4x5v cameras, including a much loved Razzle and being retired, decisions, decisions.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bloody victorians hoarding lenses, i don't know what this world is coming too.
    First they steal our Grand Prix, now our lenses.

Anyone want to send a 65mm SA over to Adelaide?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    geez, they're coming out of the woodwork now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A crown graphic springs to mind as a better option for basically the same money. A touch heavier perhaps but just as usable hand-held, and FAR more versatile and better built. not to mention options like a graflok back, interchangeable lenses, movements, etc.

Other good candidates (granted more expensive) for small/light/handheld 4x5: Globuscope, Chamonix Saber, Speed graphic, SUper Graphic, Graphic RB (SuperD), any of the various Polaroid conversions, etc.

-Ed

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Ed, what are the other options? I've been thinking about trying 4x5 but want to keep it simple in the beginning, and this camera or a similar alternative would be just about perfect (if I can score a lens).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you've ever actually tried to find something like a Crown in decent shape with rangefinder and lens with matching cam ready to go, you may understand the word "despair" and I doubt seriously you'll touch it for anywhere near the price. OTOH if you really understand those cameras and know your way around the bewildering bits of them you can probably put one together. The more I looked the more bewildered I became until I just wrote off the idea of handheld 4x5 as a lark I didn't need. This one re-sparked that interest because it's cheap, simple, very light, and is designed to use a lens I already own.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A Crown Graphic is a totally different animal. A Crown weighs about 6 pounds without a holder, compared to the 1 pound 6 oz of the Travelwide (with Angulon & film holder). I love my Speed Graphics, but they're not fun to carry around all day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    A crown graphic springs to mind as a better option for basically the same money. A touch heavier perhaps but just as usable hand-held, and FAR more versatile and better built. not to mention options like a graflok back, interchangeable lenses, movements, etc.

Other good candidates (granted more expensive) for small/light/handheld 4x5: Globuscope, Chamonix Saber, Speed graphic, SUper Graphic, Graphic RB (SuperD), any of the various Polaroid conversions, etc.

-Ed
    I can't possibly use my Crown or Speed graphics without a tripod. I did get my Crown with a lens all matched up to the rangefinder for about $100 (don't hate me, it makes up for overpaying on something else, I'm sure), but I wouldn't put it in the same category as the Wanderlust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I can't possibly use my Crown or Speed graphics without a tripod. I did get my Crown with a lens all matched up to the rangefinder for about $100 (don't hate me, it makes up for overpaying on something else, I'm sure), but I wouldn't put it in the same category as the Wanderlust.
    +1 with major emphasis.

I own and use a Crown Graphic with a working rangefinder and I do shoot it handheld. I do enjoy working with it but it is an animal, nothing at all like the Wanderlust. The Wanderlust, ready to go, is lighter than my little Zeiss Ikon rangefinder, and the ZI is very easy to pack around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a Crown with a matching RF, but then realized that what I really want is a "proper" view camera, and sold the camera within a couple hours. The person didn't even want the 135mm Nikkor since he already has a 135mm lens. Good deal for both of us.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with the Wanderlust, when they realize they either have to pay a lot for development, or do their own.

p.s. and I love the Chamonix 4x5 F1 I got. I may pick up a "P&S" 4x5 soon, for more night exposure stuff...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin