Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,640   Online: 773

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format

How do third-party bellows stack up?

I heard a lot of positive reviews for Custom Bellows in the UK, but the 6-8 week wait is not going to cut for an upcoming trip. Does anyone have any experience with the (cheaper) bellows found on eBay? They seem okay from the ad photos. I know, you get what you pay for. But, if it's light-tight for a year or two, I'm perfectly fine with that. I need a new bellows for a Technikardan 45s. Any thoughts? Are there other alternatives?

Shooter
    35mm
    This doesn't answer your question but...

for last minute bellows repair, has anyone tried wrapping a garbage bag around it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    I heard a lot of positive reviews for Custom Bellows in the UK, but the 6-8 week wait is not going to cut for an upcoming trip. Does anyone have any experience with the (cheaper) bellows found on eBay? They seem okay from the ad photos. I know, you get what you pay for. But, if it's light-tight for a year or two, I'm perfectly fine with that. I need a new bellows for a Technikardan 45s. Any thoughts? Are there other alternatives?
    It's a crapshoot. Literally. You might get an excellent set of bellows, and you might get junk, and you might get something in-between. The only direct experience I have is installing an epay bellows on a Technika belonging to a friend; the replacement was about 14" in length, which is 2+ inches too short, yet they were so thick that the camera wouldn't close with them installed.
    YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    This doesn't answer your question but...

for last minute bellows repair, has anyone tried wrapping a garbage bag around it?
    I'd use the darkcloth.

New ones are only $800, but they're the real thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    New ones are only $800, but they're the real thing.
    So are the ones from Custom bellows

I'dpatch up the existing bellows and order a set from Custom bellows, they made me a bag bellows years ago and had the original drawings.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've had good luck with Rudy on EBay. I'd rather not buy from Hong Kong but I've had great service and pricing from him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ahd custom bellows do a linhof tech III bellows for me it only took a month and total with shipping ended up around $250 and they even installed it to the rear frame I sent them ! I've never been so happy
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin