Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,431   Online: 811

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Keith(Canham) IS A BUSINESS

Businesses NEED to make money to keep their doors open. Plain and simple. Just because you make cameras to consume the film you help arrange the sale/distribution of, doesn't make you a bad person...

If everyone only did what they loved, many things wouldn't come to fruition. Making film included.

Besides, wouldn't you want to be compensated in some small form for coordinating a buy-in?

-Dan
    To answer you simply: NO, if I were to arrange for something because there was no other way to do it AND cared for people who enjoy the same as I, then I make arrangements without putting profit into the equation. But that's me AND that is NOT my point. I'm not Keith and I don't use his cameras either, although I've read enough about them that I'm sure he puts out great quality products because you can't arrange for such support his products appear to have among the users. I made a remark about something that started out (seemingly) as a genuine offer to pool people together so an otherwise unavailable film can be purchased. Putting it together doesn't require much time or effort, especially for someone who is undoubtedly "connected". So, if this is about making a profit with pre-commitments then I would not join regardless of how badly I thought I needed it. Matter of principle for me.

Again, just stating an opinion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Re: 5x7 Kodak TMax 400 group buy

daniel...u got burned...there is no fog issues w tmy and it freezes damn well...i just finished off some boxes slmost 10 years old...no prob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have seen no fog issues on frozen TMY from 2004 used recently. I expect this new stuff to last equally well when frozen.

Peter, thanks for committing to the initial boxes for this purchase. I mentioned it to Keith last year and he indicated it was had to fill the order the last time he tried. I have no idea why this is true. Let's hope enough others agree.

As far as Canham Cameras making a profit on this, I would fully expect them too. From talking with Keith it's a minimal amount, and not something he is doing for the money. I get the impression his time would be better spent producing cameras, but that he sees this as valuable for the large format community. I don't know if Kodak will deal directly with individuals, or only authorized dealers. If someone trustworthy wants to contact Kodak, and collect orders (and money) and then distribute the film for less than Canham I'm sure a small bit could be saved for everyone. But I for one an happy to let Canham make his small profit, since I know I will get my film and I don't need to pony up the full amount that Kodak requires. I really don't understand the negativity in this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No negativity intended, at least not toward the film or toward Canham. It's just Kodak's pricing that's hard to swallow. I would prefer to use TMY over any other film. It really is the best I've used. I'd like to be able to commit to several boxes. With my current photo budget it just doesn't work out. Darn digital world!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well if I got "burned" so be it, I wouldn't state what I did to be "negative" or condescending. If anyone took it it that way, maybe I just worded it wrong.

So no "negativity" from my end . I'd love to join in on this group buy, however at the present time I have other more obligating financial commitments to attend to. I use TMY-2 in 120 regularly, and its my de-facto b/w film for MF shooting. And since I have a large stash of 8x10 TXP to be able to cut down, I want to work through that(and it will take a good long while!)

Best of luck with the order, ya'll who commit and participate have my utmost support !

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was mostly commenting on the negativity towards Canham cameras. I do appreciate the comments on TMY possibly not lasting in the deep freeze. It hasn't been my experience, but it still could be an issue.

The price is high, but that's just the current state of Kodak film. Hopefully they will sell off the film division and the new owners will bring the price inline with Ilford's pricing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very annoying to see so many people peeved about something they don't have to be involved with. The price is what it is. If you want to buy some here is a chance. If you don't want to buy some DON'T. It's not like Kodak will just snap their fingers and have the stuff cut and boxed up. A SPECIAL ORDER is just that - something that is not usual business, and in most any business I can think of doing something special order requires one to pay a premium.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Poll..How many of you work for free??

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What thhh .... I've participated in several of Keith's TMY and TMX orders. He's gone out of his way to be helpful. He probably isn't making a whole lot of money at this, it's a fair amt of fuss for him to do it and ship it all out to each of us - and he never claimed to be a charity organization. Do YOU show up to work for no pay????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Do YOU show up to work for no pay????
    Seems like it some days.

Now everyone go take your anti-anxiety pill and calm the heck down. I suspect Keith isn't making his 40% on this deal. It's one of those butter both sides of the bread kinda things. He makes a little money, gets people who bought or might buy his cameras the film needed to keep the art form alive. You don't have to buy 20,000 dollars worth of film just to get it. Imagine if someone arranged to have APX100 4x5 and 8x10 film come out again in the original Agfa emulsion. Would you care what anyone made on that deal? I wouldn't. Might sell my firstborn to get in on that one. *L*.

So invest in 5x7 TMax 400 or don't.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin