Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,628   Online: 711

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

5x7 Kodak TMax 400 group buy

Keith Canham is trying to get a group buy for TMax 400 in 5x7 size. I have committed to a few boxes, but he still needs more to meet Kodak's minimum purchase. So if you are interesting getting some of this wonderful film in 5x7 size please let Keith know by filling out this form http://www.canhamcameras.com/kodakform.html. He is estimating the price will be about $180 per box of 50, but he hasn't received an quote from Kodak.

TMax 400 has great tonality and very good reciprocity characteristics, so it makes a very nice large format film. I shoot it along side Ilford FP4+ and it's indispensable when the wind won't let the trees stay still. I really hope to be able to get some in 5x7 where it would be even more welcome than in 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Twice as much as Ilford. TMY is the best, but yikes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been there for years with certain emulsions and sizes. It's surprising to you?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There really aren't many 5x7 shooters so demand for 5x7 film must be fairly low. Especially for the Kodak stuff that is twice the price of Ilford. But it does have some properties that you can't get in the Ilford films, as good as they are.

I am hoping the price comes in closer to the TXP price of $147 per box, but even that's much more than Ilford. I am surprised Kodak can make TXP a stocked size, but not TMY.

There're plenty of things that the computer can't and won't ever be able to do. I suspect gardening is one of them (I hear the FarmVille food wasnt very filling). But the web will make sharing information about the process much easier. And my iPhone did nothing to chop firewood, but it does help me find a local guy to deliver it already chopped, or. He best wedge to get through the stringy elm I have falling every year.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wish I liked HP5 - it would save me alot of supply headaches. Currently, I'm using Tri-X in 5X7 for situations requiring more speed. Would love to have T-Max 400 in 5X7 (and all formats I use); but Kodak pricing is driving me to consider Fomapan 400. Oh well, life is too short to worry about the little things - grain ;-)
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its NOT hard to get Kodak to cut ANY current emulsion to ANY size requested(up to a point mechanically speaking), its just that it's hard to get all of the boxes needed to fulfill the order PAID FOR.

Remember, Canham cameras is a business. They/he makes a cut/markup on the price that Kodak quotes per box. It might not be much, but I'm almost sure he doesn't coordinate these things solely out of the goodness of his heart, nor should he !

But if an individual who feels comfortable collecting money from others worldwide, and doing it solely to help others out, and is willing to keep things in order, ship,etc. I'm sure the price can be a bit lower

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm the one who prompted Keith to get out the lead and get a group buy. I am also quite shocked that people here are reluctant to get this most amazing film. There are many good films out there but none comes close to TMY for large format;PERIOD....
    If anyone here had bought $10,000 worth of film last year how much would it be worth now?? You could easily turn around and sell it here or on Ebay. Sure bears the 1% in the bank!...
    how much is it worth to have what you need as an artist to have your materials in the freezer. I still am shooting 5x7 Tri-x that I bought in the nineties (100 sheets for about $105/box) It's also a pleasure just to pull out a box and defrost!!
    Is Kodak actually going to be here? A questions for the ages but if you got it then it's yours...
    have a great day everyone!!
    Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Peter,
    I'd LOVE o join in on this group buy, however I'm staring at a large pile of 8x10 TXP I purchased from Badger Graphic last year. I purchased it as a "hedge", but also because I've read recently about some noticing serious base fog issues with TMY/TMY-2, even if its been frozen. I know that I've shot older(think 2002-2004 dated or so) TMY in both sheet form and rollfilm, and I had issues with base fog. I bought it from a guy closing his studio who had it FROZEN at at least O°F the entire time. Still had very noticeable base fog. Tri-X I've never had an issue with base fog like Tmax 100/400 has given me. I love love love the film, so don't get me wrong. But for long-term storage MY(and some others on the web, LFF IIRC) experiemce with TMY has not been too favorable more than a few years beyond the stated expiration date...

Not trying to poo-poo this thread or cast doubt on a product, but just sharing my experience, and why I'm not chomping at the bit to buy in on this order here for a multi-year supply.Quality film isn't cheap, and it almost certainly isn't going to get cheaper.

best of luck everyone with the order!

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    I'm the one who prompted Keith to get out the lead and get a group buy. I am also quite shocked that people here are reluctant to get this most amazing film. There are many good films out there but none comes close to TMY for large format;PERIOD....
    If anyone here had bought $10,000 worth of film last year how much would it be worth now?? You could easily turn around and sell it here or on Ebay. Sure bears the 1% in the bank!...
    how much is it worth to have what you need as an artist to have your materials in the freezer. I still am shooting 5x7 Tri-x that I bought in the nineties (100 sheets for about $105/box) It's also a pleasure just to pull out a box and defrost!!
    Is Kodak actually going to be here? A questions for the ages but if you got it then it's yours...
    have a great day everyone!!
    Peter
    By the same token, why Kodak isn't putting up a freezer of their own and release film to public whenever order comes in. This way they could just crank up their system for a few days at a time and stop until freezer gets thinner. The fact is, Kodak has messed things up for themselves a long time ago and now, being only capable of having bean counters as top managers, does not care about what people like (or liked) or especially maintaining its image as a once top photo company. It's sad, but it's reality. Let's just hope Ilford keeps going and (maybe) Agfa emulsions get out again one day.

I would also argue for the TMY superiority. No issue with you loving it to death, but there have been thousands of superior images created over the years long before TMY came to existence

I don't shoot 5x7, so perhaps I'm a few years away from the same problem at smaller sizes, but I think it's criminal to charge what I hear.

Am I reading someone correctly that Keith is putting a margin on this before group distribution? If so, then I'm sorry to point this out, but if Keith is actually putting a "group" together to make money on it, then I can't see how this is genuine. If you want to sell something, you invest in it up front. In other words, if he were sure there is sufficient market for whatever number of boxes this is about, than he should place such order himself and then release to public under whatever price he wants. And that would be fair and square. But to take commitments from people first, just to see how much he make on it, then it looks like a smoke screen to dim out the profit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post
    Am I reading someone correctly that Keith is putting a margin on this before group distribution? If so, then I'm sorry to point this out, but if Keith is actually putting a "group" together to make money on it, then I can't see how this is genuine. If you want to sell something, you invest in it up front. In other words, if he were sure there is sufficient market for whatever number of boxes this is about, than he should place such order himself and then release to public under whatever price he wants. And that would be fair and square. But to take commitments from people first, just to see how much he make on it, then it looks like a smoke screen to dim out the profit.
    Keith(Canham) IS A BUSINESS

Businesses NEED to make money to keep their doors open. Plain and simple. Just because you make cameras to consume the film you help arrange the sale/distribution of, doesn't make you a bad person...

If everyone only did what they loved, many things wouldn't come to fruition. Making film included.

Besides, wouldn't you want to be compensated in some small form for coordinating a buy-in?

-Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin