Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,254   Online: 848

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The most important equipment is a good back and good knees. Stay in shape. But routinely carrying 8x10 gear will accomplish that!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    The most important equipment is a good back and good knees. Stay in shape. But routinely carrying 8x10 gear will accomplish that!
    Amen, Drew! I have a bad back (it's actually fused together) but my knees are good.

I own a lightweight Wehman but with my tripod and lenses, film holders, etc. it all gets too heavy for me so I carry the Ries J100 and pull the camera kit behind me in a wheeled cordura tool bag. I just bought a Gordy's strap for the Ries so I'll soon see how that works.

Some people use a baby stroller to wheel around their 8x10 cameras.

Yeah, I would probably be better off always carrying around my Tachihara 4x5 which I use for color film but I love the big 8x10 and it keeps me going so I'll use it as long as I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotOptik View Post
    Please indulge me for a few moments.

There are filters, a tripod, film, an auxiliary lens, a light meter,

PhotOptik
    focusing cloth, holders, loupe, cable release(s), changing bag(to load holders in field) That's basic. Everything else in your list was related to darkroom.
    You're going to add to the kit as you find the need. And everyone will have their own preferences.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No kit is ever complete. Start with the bare essentials and add to it as the need arises.

You need a camera and a lens, something to keep the camera from moving (usually a tripod), something to trigger the lens (usually cable release), and focussing aids (dark cloth and loupe -- any cloth, sweathshirt, towel, etc. will work, and you can use any prime 50mm lens reversed as a loupe). Something to measure the light, film holder, you've got to get the film into the holder in the dark (changing bag, tent, or just a perfectly dark room) and someplace to put the film after you've exposed it (empty film boxes work well).

That will get you started, and your own experience will point you in the next direction.

Shooter
    Holga
    Which brings up another important point: Your own ability to use the camera, especially mastering tilts and swings in the one shot. I'm still a long way from getting this down-pat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When You have gathered the obvious (camera, lens, film, tripod, meter, bag etc) remember to bring notebook and pencil. Whenever you're missing something be sure to make a note of it for when You get home. Over the years Your kit will be complete and Your back will be strong.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One photographer's gear list:

1 8x10 view camera with 20 holders and 4 lenses: Cooke convertable,
    10" Wide Field Ektar, 9" Dagor, 6.75 wide angle Wollansak

Three exposure meters

Filters: K1, K2, Minus Blue, G, X1, A, C5, B, F, 85B, 85C and light
    balancing series 81 & series 82

Heavy tripod

lens brush, Stop watch, level, thermometer, focusing magnifier, &
    focusing cloth

special storage box for film

Extensive 35mm, medium format, and 4x5 outfits

Big flash equipment

Cadillac Eight passenger limousine with 5x9 platform on top

The photographer was Ansel Adams. and the list was compiled
    from a 1957 movie.

Images
    Tripod-BIG.
    Lens
    film holders
    Film.
    Meter- 8x10 film is too expensive to guess with
    Dark cloth-big towel works in a pinch and if you are a bit on the hefty side a sweat shirt will too. Skinny people don't have this option
    Filters-I think they are necessary

The most important thing to do with 8x10 or any LF camera for that matter is to actually have loaded film holders when you want to take a picture. I have saved lots of film by going out on a trip with empty film holders. It happens to more people than you would think.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has someone listed the "patience of Job" yet? You will make every imaginable mistake with this camera, and possibly even invent new ones. (Just this last week, I removed a film holder from my camera before replacing the darkslide. That's a new one for me. ) Don't let the mistakes wear you down; learn from them. Eventually, you will chip away at enough of the things that don't make a good picture and start to get photos that actually look like what you imagined when you plopped your tripod down in virgin soil.

Cheers, and welcome to the dark side (darkslide?).
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Has someone listed the "patience of Job" yet? You will make every imaginable mistake with this camera, and possibly even invent new ones. (Just this last week, I removed a film holder from my camera before replacing the darkslide. That's a new one for me. ) Don't let the mistakes wear you down; learn from them. Eventually, you will chip away at enough of the things that don't make a good picture and start to get photos that actually look like what you imagined when you plopped your tripod down in virgin soil.

Cheers, and welcome to the dark side (darkslide?).
    Tom
    One mistake that really irritates me, and that I still do, is after making an exposure, putting the dark slide back in silver side out and not noticing until I have forgotten which side I just used. DAMN! No way I can make another exposure with that holder. Probably should come up with a numbering system written on the holders and always use them in order. I would forget that too though.
    Dennis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin