Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,504   Online: 1098
      
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    AgX
    AgX is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,786
    This is what the Antwerp Fotomuseum seemingly think about Weegee and the camera he used:

    (Made in the name of the museum and found at their Facebook site too.)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VLyjyHTYiCY

  2. #12
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,336
    Images
    148
    Well by the 40's many US press photographers were using 35mm and 6x6 cameras. Not all used Speed Graphics some used reflex grahics,

    In Europe the 9x12 Avus style cameras were the norm befrore WWIIwith some SLR's as well, the UK was similar but cameras like the Sanderso were more common and therre were light weight press Reflex cameras like the Press Dallmeyer with faxt lenses. Smaller formats took over during the war.

    Ian

  3. #13
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,200
    I believe that a hat was a required piece of equipment.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  4. #14
    brucemuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Metro DC area, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,264
    Images
    4
    for the 4x5 guys they had the luxury of cropping and the editors weren't afraid to do it (like we are nowdays)

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bombay, NY
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    47
    I worked on a suburan Los Angeles newspaper for a shot time in the early fifties. I never saw anyone use a 70, or 80 and not even a 90mm lens. My newspaper never used Graphmatic film holders. I carried four sheet-film holders loaded with pan film, for shooting females for the woman & Home section, and Super Plenachrome in 12 shot film packs for everything else. I remember one guy who carried a 110 mm lens. Most guys used either the 127 or 135 mm lenses. I used a 150 mm on my Speed Graphic, and carried a Premo Senior 3.25X4.25 film pack camera for a spare. I used Press 25 flash bulbs. I normally pre-set the distance on the focusing scale at either 12 or 25 feet, which I marked with red fingernail polish. I kept the lens set at f22 or f32, and use flash to control exposure. If I was more than a half hour from the office, I loaded an old Kodak film pack developing tank in a daylight changing bag, pre-rinsed for 2 or three blocks, pulled over, dumped the water into a can, filled the tank with developer, and drove to the office. When I parked at the office. I dumped the Rodinal dilute developer, water rinsed for 2 minutes, poured out the water (into the bucket) put the hypo in and carried the tank to the art department editors desk. I'd have to leave it on his desk for a minute or two, while I described the action, then dumped it out in the darkroom, put rinse water in it and went back to the editor, and we pulled the photos out to see if they were any good. Well, that was the news racket when I was young!!

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bombay, NY
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    47
    I forgot to say, I never cropped a shot...except at gunpoint. 4X5 covered 2 column inches wide by 5 inches long. So art contact printed my (and others) photos, because it was faster. Occassionally one would be enlarged to 6X8 or 8X10. By using 2,3 or 4 column inch pics, set-up (print) was much faster. We put out 4 to 6 editions a day. All we ever heard was Pictures, I need pictures! All dy long this went on. So you composed your shots to use the whole frame. Without crowding. (No "choke shots")

  7. #17
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,474
    Images
    225

    Press photographer gear in the 40's and 50's?

    Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    I worked on a suburan Los Angeles newspaper for a shot time in the early fifties. I never saw anyone use a 70, or 80 and not even a 90mm lens. My newspaper never used Graphmatic film holders. I carried four sheet-film holders loaded with pan film, for shooting females for the woman & Home section, and Super Plenachrome in 12 shot film packs for everything else. I remember one guy who carried a 110 mm lens. Most guys used either the 127 or 135 mm lenses. I used a 150 mm on my Speed Graphic, and carried a Premo Senior 3.25X4.25 film pack camera for a spare. I used Press 25 flash bulbs. I normally pre-set the distance on the focusing scale at either 12 or 25 feet, which I marked with red fingernail polish. I kept the lens set at f22 or f32, and use flash to control exposure. If I was more than a half hour from the office, I loaded an old Kodak film pack developing tank in a daylight changing bag, pre-rinsed for 2 or three blocks, pulled over, dumped the water into a can, filled the tank with developer, and drove to the office. When I parked at the office. I dumped the Rodinal dilute developer, water rinsed for 2 minutes, poured out the water (into the bucket) put the hypo in and carried the tank to the art department editors desk. I'd have to leave it on his desk for a minute or two, while I described the action, then dumped it out in the darkroom, put rinse water in it and went back to the editor, and we pulled the photos out to see if they were any good. Well, that was the news racket when I was young!!
    What a cool story!!

    That's literally probably something that will never make it to the history books, and it's that kind of stuff that to me is important, because its stuff that at the time we take for granted that now wouldn't even have occurred to us.

    I was doing a movie scene this weekend and driving an old Cadillac and Buick from the 60's/70's and the Gil they put in the car to play my date was shocked to see the bench seats, she had never seen a car with bench seats and only even noticed because I moved the seat up to adjust for driving.

    It was funny because I took it for granted as my mothers first two cars I rode in as a kid had them.

    But she had never seen a car like this.

    Being such a control freak with my developing I can't imagine just throwing some developer in a tank while driving haha, but I think it would be fun, I wish they could have like a "newspaper history week" where the newspapers all used old film or something. Wouldn't happen but would be cool.


    ~Stone

    Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  8. #18
    Truzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,120
    Did you find certain roads were better at agitating certain developers?
    Truzi

  9. #19
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post


    Being such a control freak with my developing I can't imagine just throwing some developer in a tank while driving haha, but I think it would be fun,
    Makes for an interesting agitation regimen.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  10. #20
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,474
    Images
    225

    Press photographer gear in the 40's and 50's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Did you find certain roads were better at agitating certain developers?
    Hahahaha!! I would suspect paved roads gave you less grain but off roading have you better sharper images


    ~Stone

    Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin