Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,045   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lens for Speed graphic to cover 6X17

Anyone have any idea/suggestions about a lens to mount on my speed grahic to get decent coverage for a 6X17 back? Inexpensive would be nice/preferred and not absolutely essential. I'm using it with a magic lantern lens currently and will continue to do so, however would like to expand the vision a little. Thanks in advance. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Anyone have any idea/suggestions about a lens to mount on my speed grahic to get decent coverage for a 6X17 back? Inexpensive would be nice/preferred and not absolutely essential. I'm using it with a magic lantern lens currently and will continue to do so, however would like to expand the vision a little. Thanks in advance. Bill Barber
    Any idea what focal length? A 150 convertible Symmar is inexpensive, and a very good lens. You'll need about a 190mm image circle at infinity focus,(more if you'll be using front movements) so let that be your guide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I have a dumb question - how are you planning to put such a back on a grpahic?

Are you totally giving up on the OEM ground glass? We are talking 4x5 cameras, and 5" is 12.7cm to me, which is a good deal under 17cm.

For my franken-mod panoramic MF camera I converted an old polaroid J-66 roll film polaroid. Auto shutter still works for me. I ND filtered the selenium cell to have it auto expose for the 160 speed film I use and not the 3000 speed it was built to automaticaly adjust shutter speed to expose.

It now sports a darkroom load and unload 5' long spool of 70mm bulk roll film. Low tech - so many tuns of the knob to advance.

I added a winding knob/ extended length 35mm cassette spindle driver at one end of the camera to advance the film.

So far for the 3 hours of mod, and $10 to buy the camera at a thrift store I am happy with the two rolls I have shot using the el-chaepo plastic Polaroid lens in this camera.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anything from a Schneider 75mm f8 SA upwards will cover 6x17 on a budget , I use a 75mm f8 SA as my standard lens on my 617 Gaoersi and it's perfect fot my uses.

I'm not sure a 6x17 back will work on a Speed Graphic, there's the frame part for the shutter curtain that's not there on a Crown Graphic and it'll crop the edges with wide angle lenses, not sure what FL that'll begin though.

You have given me some thoughts though, as I have a spare Super Graphic front standard - already modified to fit any Speed Graphic - and a load of Graflex parts coming, enough to make a great 6x17 field camera

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I think I have a dumb question - how are you planning to put such a back on a grpahic?

Are you totally giving up on the OEM ground glass? We are talking 4x5 cameras, and 5" is 12.7cm to me, which is a good deal under 17cm.
    While all I have (and all I've seen in person) are 4x5, I did the math and assumed that he has a 5x7 Speed Graphic.

I have some daydreams about those, but I would want to feel the heft before deciding whether I really want one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shen Hoa 617 back seems to fit fine. Don't plan to use the focal plane shutter. The magic lantern lens I am using covers, but with fall off. Probably will want move focus and depth of field.
    Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lies, damned lies, and mathmatics

Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Shen Hoa 617 back seems to fit fine. Don't plan to use the focal plane shutter. The magic lantern lens I am using covers, but with fall off. Probably will want move focus and depth of field.
    Bill Barber
    Ya can't argue math. 17 cm == 6.7 inches. The opening on the back of a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed is 4.7 inches. What do you plan on putting this back on?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Lens for Speed graphic to cover 6X17

The various Chinese made 617 backs for 4x5" cameras are extension backs, so they do work, but there are some limits with minimum focal length due to the construction of the camera and how close you can get the lens to the focal plane, and maximum focal length, where you start to run into vignetting. Ian's point about the extra extension from the FP shutter on a speed are valid. I'd start with a 135mm or 150mm lens and experiment from there.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Regardless of which back, you'll be limited by the mechanical vignetting of the 4x5 orifice.

As such, you'll be limited to approx 90mm to 150mm focal lengths. This, of course, is pursuant on bellows' flexibility/compression on the shorter end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Regardless of which back, you'll be limited by the mechanical vignetting of the 4x5 orifice.

As such, you'll be limited to approx 90mm to 150mm focal lengths. This, of course, is pursuant on bellows' flexibility/compression on the shorter end.
    For 150mm lens that is a 2.5 inch extension and only usable at infinity.
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin