Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,186   Online: 1200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Your knowledge and experience is better my Google

I've been using a Sinar P2 a lot lately, and I absolutely love everything about it except one thing — it's a cumbersome behemoth! So, I'm looking for a smaller, more field-friendly camera. I know what features I want/need, but don't know which cameras have them. So, I'd like to tap your combined knowledge pool to help me narrow down the search.

I'm looking for:
    (1) asymmetric tilt and swing on both standards (I've been spoiled by the P2 on this one)
    (2) must be able to fit in a backpack (could even be a large backpack; folding is nice, but not necessary)

That's pretty much it! If you know of cameras that fit this description (or other features that might be important), please let me know.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Ebony makes a very fine field camera that should do what you want.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Ebony makes a very fine field camera that should do what you want.
    From my understanding, the Ebony U-series cameras only have rear asymmetric movements. All their front standards (from what I read on their site) have symmetric tilt and swings. Is that right?

A used Wisner Technical Field camera may do the job, but I can't say for sure. Arca-Swiss cameras can be broken down to fit in a backpack, with room left over for your empty wallet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Sinar F2. They are a bit lighter. It has a DOF and angle calculator.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    A used Wisner Technical Field camera may do the job, but I can't say for sure. Arca-Swiss cameras can be broken down to fit in a backpack, with room left over for your empty wallet.
    The ArcaSwiss F-metric was really nice when I tried it out. The Orbix gave the front slight asymmetric tilt, but not swing. I'll check out the Wisner Technical Field. Thanks!
    Last edited by jcc; 04-18-2013 at 01:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do Deardorff 4x5's have asymmetric tilt and swing on both standards?

Shooter
    Large Format
    What does "asymmetric tilt" do on the front? On the rear I can see how it tilts the ground glass about a line on the lower third of the frame and maintains focus on that line, but on the front it seems it would pretty much be like base tilt in that the lens would move towards or away from the ground glass as you tilt, requiring a lot of refocusing. Axis tilt, on the other hand, would tilt around the optical center point of the lens so you would (approximately) maintain focus in the middle of the frame, then tilt to get the other points on the focus plane. I thought Arca Swiss Orbix is meant to provide axis tilt using a "base tilt" style of movement (i.e. the mechanism is located below the lens but the pivot axis is on the optical axis).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just pick up an F2. That way you can still use all your existing Sinar components except those heavy geared standards. I backpacked for twenty years with one of these, though I have since replaced it with
    a classic old Sinar Norma (no yaw-free asymmetrics). I'm not quite sure why you'd need to specify this
    one feature, but the F2 does have it, though you operate it a little differently than on a P camera. If
    you are comfortable with a monorail it's kinda silly to go looking at wooden folders. And no, nothing like
    a 'Dorf operates in this manner. The Wisner is pretty flimsy compared to a Sinar - more pretty than functional if you're going to get into weather. If something goes wrong with a Sinar, replacement parts
    are abundant. Try getting a Wisner fixed! The nice thing about a monorail in a pack is that you can leave it assembled with a favorite lens and shade already in place and operate much faster than with a folder. Plus if you want to use long focal lengths, you just add another rail section, same as the P.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ... yaw-free asymmetrics. I'm not quite sure why you'd need to specify this
    one feature ...
    This is the elephant in the room.

Although a field camera with base tilts will have yaw-free tilts, and usually swings as well, asymmetrical movements on both standards are not found on any folding field camera I know of. The Ebony cameras have asymmetrical movements on the rear standard.

If you want a lightweight folder (and if weight is enough of an issue for you as it is for me), then you may want to take the little bit of time it takes to master symmetrical movements and movements that are not yaw-free (i.e., which order to apply the movements). I'll wager I'm just about as fast with my base tilt, symmetrical movement 1.6 kilo woodie as most are with more sophisticated rigs. It's just a matter of practice (although doing close up and macro work is a PITA unless you have a camera with both front and rear focus).

Don't get me wrong, I love monorails with fancy movements for studio and indoor architectural work, but in the field, after 10 hours of hiking with your gear over slickrock, through cliffs and canyons, etc. I'm really happy to have a compact and lightweight camera on my back.

Best,

Doremus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin